Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 72 honda 175. I want to trick it out cafe style, but don't know if it's worth it. The bike runs fine, but I can't even find any pics of what it could look like on the web. And parts seem to be kinda hard to find.

simon01

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dud, If you worried about it being worth it you are probably in the wrong hobby. I have a CB750 that I'v had over six years and probably got over 1000 dollars in it and it's all over the place. I can't even take a picture of it. When I get done...hell I'll never get done because I do it because I love it. Make it your own. I also have a rd200 that's a work in progress also but a blast to ride.

Doc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just don't know where to start on it. As you can probably tell I'm new to this, and am worried that it's to small. i enjoy riding it and love the cafe look, but like i said i don't know where to start on it.

simon01

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's worth it. The cool thing about the little ones is that they've got some small-ass frames. 60 on my CB200 is more entertaining than 100 on my souped up 450/500 hybrid. I'd start by fixing it. What's not quite right? Speed wobble? Fouls plugs in traffic? Drips gas from the petcock or overflow tubes? By the the time you finish with that, you'll have trawled enough forums and seen enough pics to know what you can do with it.

Meanwhile, if it's the look you want, I'd start by giving it a big fuckoff hole under the seat where the battery/air box/electrics used to be. You do that by losing the side covers, replacing the air box with pods of some sort, hiding the battery somewhere (SLAs are good for that), and moving the electrics, usually up under the seat. That'll get you a good way toward that classic british minimalist thing.

A

·
Registered
687 Posts
is it a cb or a cl? can you give us some photo's?
if you do some image searching you'll find some great insperation. here's a pict i found on jbransons site along side another two. (the last may not be a 175.

i pulled the last two from my library sorry if i'm imposing on anyone for posting thier shots.

the first two are race bikes and fiberglass tanks aren't usually street legal but you get the idea. also look at cb/cl350 caferacers the engines and frames look almost identitcal and there are tons of those online.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can post some pics later. It's bone stock right now so it's nothing spetacular.....yet. Its a cl175. Does anyone know how to get the oil filter out of this thing? I took the cover off and couldn't get the filter off. Do i spin it out or what? I tried to turn it counter clockwise and couldn't get it, do i need to man up?

simon01

·
Registered
687 Posts
strictly guessing, i bet there is a circlip you have to pull out first. c shaped with a hole on each end, they make pliers with tips to fit in the holes so you can squeeze the two ends together. i managed my first time to go it with out one but it was also the first time i can remember cursing an inanimate object to hell and meaning it. better to get the right tools for the job.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the petcock valve on my 175 is shot and i'm being told they discontinued the part. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a readily available rebuild kit? Is there some other fix i can try?

simon01

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If the 175 vert is like every other Honda twin, you'll need a special 4-way notched socket to remove a nut that holds on the oil filter basket. Once you get the cover off the basket (it should just be held in by the circlip mentioned above. It can still be a bitc to get out tho') down inside you'll see a nut with four notches cut out of it and zero space to fit a socket around the outside of the nut....

Wait, are you trying to remove the basket or just clean out the filter?

Honda go sideways!

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
parts unlimited sells that special socket.

don't do what the rest of us have done and sacrifice one of your own!

tex

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i'm just trying to clean the filter. It looks like ther are two slots on the inside of the filter cap. I didnt' see any nut to remove though. I'm picturing all this from memory, it's been about a week since i looked at it.

simon01

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
you'll need the special tool. without it you'll just bugger up the filter, nut, etc.....

tex

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I'm getting ready to upgrade to some clubman bars, and i was wondering about cutting the cables to lenght. Is it necasary? if so how would I go about doing that? are there speacial tools required? I've been told that if I don't cut them the throtle won't snap back. Is that just someone trying to sell me something?

simon01

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also I was wondering about rearsets. Do they make conversion kits, or is it just total custom fabrication? It's for a '73 cl175. Forgive me if thats a rookie bush-league question, but I'm still new to this.

simon01

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I've never had to get new cables when doing a handlebar conversion. Experiment with different cable routing strategies before you change the cables outright. By the way, making custom cables is kind of an advanced skill...

Aftermarket rearsets come in kits, some folks convert sportbike sets to fit their bike and others make thier own from scratch. In all three cases, you'll have to fabricate and be creative to make them work. Off the top of my head, check out Group W Racing's website. They have some good pics of rearset conversions on small bikes.

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
23 Posts
it's a great little bike to drive in town and not as slow as you think... here's mine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where did you get that oil cooler and how much was it? And also are you going to leave the pipes like that or are you going to extend them back a little? I'm looking at chopping my muffler off and just extending the pipes back, but am a little concerned that it's going to be obnoxiously loud. I won't mind the db level, but the fuzz might. Oh screw the 50 though right, i mean they can't ticket me if they can't catch me!

simon01

1 - 20 of 29 Posts