Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I thought You would get a kick out of this. Sadly it is not my work, but it is way cooler. Here is the link to the album

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dean_morarity/album?.dir=/c4ee&.src=ph

I was at a friend's shop today to pick up a battery for my Dad's airplane. This guy is 67 years old and has raced everything but boats. In the 1950s there used to be a dirt stock car track in freeport, long island. My friend raced out there starting in 1955 at the age of 16. This helmet is an old cork filled cromwell that he used starting in 1956. The stripes were laid on the helmet in 1956 in exchange for some bodywork (lead sleading) on the pinstripers ride. He knows who it was, but forgot the stripers name. He was going to look it up for me when he got home tonight. He used the helmet through the 50's then retired it. In a couple of months it is going to the freeport museum, in the mean time I have it and may do a few replica helmets using davidas as a base. I also may do a panel with the design for his wall so when he gives up the helmet he still has a part of it.

so guys and gals, what do you think?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you guys like that pinstriping, you should check out the book:
"Von Dutch, The Art, The Myth, The Legend," by Pat Ganahl. I found the story kind of strange, but there are some great photos in the book.

Tom W.
'70 CL350

1 - 7 of 7 Posts