Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After having spent a few weeks looking through some of the fantastic build threads you guys have put up, I wanted to post a blog of my current SR500 build. However, before I do that, I also wanted to post a link to the site that enables me to follow my dream of customising motorcycles; a site I have been building up over the last few years, putting a lot of sweat and tears into and yet with so far left to go.

My webshop is a parts store for Yamaha SR, XT and Kawa W 650 parts. We source parts in Thailand and ship them to Europe, the US, South America, Australia, Russia... everywhere!

The shop is Omega Racer | Yamaha & Kawasaki Custom Parts, Spares & Accessories.
The link will take you to the home page where you can also find a link to my personal blog detailing thoughts, activities and developments in my life and the life of my new business here in Thailand. Suffice to say it is rarely boring over here!

As my shop is still a work in progress, I would appreciate all the feedback, good and (more importantly) bad, you guys can give as I want to make it as accessible to you as possible. I hope you can spend a few minutes to have a quick glance and offer your opinion.

There is currently an offer on for 5% off all aluminium tanks, so if any of you are looking for a new tank...

Additionally, I would like to start a thread which I would update regularly with upcoming offers and where users can contact me regarding sourcing parts for them, but I don't know if that is allowed on this site. Can one of the mods/admin let me know please!

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all,

We at Omega Racer have been working with Elders Helmets for a while now (in fact, we were the first company to provide Elders on the international market), so it is with good founding that we are able to say 'If you are looking for an Elders Helmet, we are the best choice out there.'

Recently, Elders have introduced a new model to their range, and we are proudly now offering this model in our online store.

Following the design ethos of the famous Bell Star Classic, the Bomberbell B1 is a retro racer style helmet that is as cool as it can get.
For only $199, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
You should probably mention that these "helmets" you sell (and I use the term loosely) are not US DOT approved (or carry any safety rating for that matter) and not suitable for actually riding a motorcycle. Great on a shelf, but a piece of safety gear that delivers NO safety is useless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should probably mention that these "helmets" you sell (and I use the term loosely) are not US DOT approved (or carry any safety rating for that matter) and not suitable for actually riding a motorcycle. Great on a shelf, but a piece of safety gear that delivers NO safety is useless.
Thank you for your reply.
That information is clearly displayed on our site, though maybe it would be helpful to include it here as well.

As for delivering no safety whatsoever, well... Agreed, they do not carry DOT approval, but to say they offer no safety because of this is just not true.

Although we appreciate the feedback, if you have yet to purchase a helmet from us, then to criticize our products from such a weak standpoint is unfair.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Whoa-
your selling a helmet that is not even legal for most of the world to use,
and that shouldn't be criticised?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Following the design ethos of the famous Bell Star Classic, the Bomberbell B1 is a retro racer style helmet that is as cool as it can get.
For only $199, you can't go wrong.
No sorry. A hundred and ninety nine bucks for a non-DOT helmet is wrong, very wrong.

See these dudes? Motorcycle Gear | Motorcycle Helmet Shopping Guide

They sell real safety equipment. Not retarded fashion accessories.

I don't care because I know better, but you're going to get some dumbass that bought a CM400t to café to buy one of your helmets. When he splits his melon on the concrete you'll still be in Thailand with no way to be held accountable.

·
Registered
405 Posts
10 dollar head, 199.00 helmet.. wait... no, that just cant be right.. ???

looks like power ranger helmets are back in fashion!!...

If your smart enough to wear a helmet, you will be wearing an approved and tested model..

I own Bell and Shoei.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
but to say they offer no safety because of this is just not true.

Although we appreciate the feedback, if you have yet to purchase a helmet from us, then to criticize our products from such a weak standpoint is unfair.
Ok then, Please post the proof that they are safe to use as a helmet. I looked on your site and did not see proof that they are safe, maybe I missed it?

Countries have safety ratings for a reason, usually that reason is because they have been tested and evaluated by an independent auditor. If you have no rating then what do you have.

life is unfair. You know what else is unfair selling a helmet to someone who doesn't know any better as safety gear when it may not be and then he gets hurt when the helmet fails to protect him. There is a reason that bell doesn't sell the model helmet yours is based on, just saying.

point blank with out DOT certification your helmet is not legal to use as a piece of safety gear in the United States. So I am not saying your helmet offers no safety, the US government is saying it offers no safety.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
It doesn't matter if you think that retro-pop copy of a Bell is safe.

If it does not have a Dot or TÜV or some other real safety standard stamped on it, it is just a very shiny ornament for the man cave.

The real old Bells like that were pretty damn heavy and horrible to wear, back in the day, anyway.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No sorry. A hundred and ninety nine bucks for a non-DOT helmet is wrong, very wrong.

See these dudes? Motorcycle Gear | Motorcycle Helmet Shopping Guide

They sell real safety equipment. Not retarded fashion accessories.

I don't care because I know better, but you're going to get some dumbass that bought a CM400t to café to buy one of your helmets. When he splits his melon on the concrete you'll still be in Thailand with no way to be held accountable.
Thanks for your reply.

These helmets are safety approved in Thailand, but do not carry DOT approval as we sell mainly throughout Asia. Whether you like our products or not, criticizing them as 'retarded fashion accessories' is a rather childish way of putting your point across. But thanks, anyway.

We have never stated that these helmets are DOT approved, and so people who buy these helmets know exactly what they are getting. We are not out to lie to our customers, and our products are described clearly on our website.

Whoa-
your selling a helmet that is not even legal for most of the world to use,
and that shouldn't be criticised?
DOT approval on a helmet is not a worldwide legal requirement. In those states that require you to wear a helmet in the US, you must wear a DOT approved helmet, yes.

Again, we are offering for sale a product, and if it is not right for you, then that is fine :) But criticizing that product, and us, just for offering that product is unfair, yes.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
You're advertising on a predominantly US website for helmets that are not US approved.

You can't expect to not be criticised about this.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
You are trying to sell Asian standard "novelty hats" to white men in Western markets. Criticising that is not unfair in the least.

That's why you posted here and not in Thai? ฉันถูกต้องหรือไม่ .

The TIS 39-253 helmet standard is so low as to be not taken seriously. I don't think the TIS 39-253 standards have ever been translated into English, I guess that tells you something.

Stick to selling bike parts and enjoying the Thai nightlife and cheap beer. I imagine that's why you live there.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Omega,

You do clearly identify these helmets as "novelty" helmets so kudos to you for that. My issue comes with you still claiming they are a piece of safety equipment. TIS helmet standards, outside of Thailand, are universally known as inadequate since they only test for sizing, mfg flaws, and construction methods and not for actual safety.

Maybe you don't realize this but your fellow country members have pretty much made the "made in Thailand" tag as worthless as mud. Poor quality reproductions being falsely sold as OEM parts are a real problem for US buyers buying products from Thailand to the point where most goods coming from your county are regarded as cheap crap. I am not saying your stuff is but that is the snap judgement most people have when they hear made in Thailand. So if you really want to market outside of your country the market isn't going to welcome you and you are going to need to work harder to overcome that stigma.

·
Registered
419 Posts
...to criticize our products from such a weak standpoint is unfair.
No. You are selling a product that is not suitable for the use for which it's advertised.

When I say not suitable, I mean that it is not legal to be worn as a motorcycle helmet on the street and you are marketing it as a motorcycle helmet. The disclaimer at the bottom of the page isn't a "free pass" to sell whatever the hell you want.

That's a $200 paperweight and should some poor sap actually purchase it and get pulled over, you should have to pay the ticket.

I just noticed this:
But criticizing that product, and us, just for offering that product is unfair, yes.
If you're going to sell to Western markets, you're going to have to get used to this. Two things we take very seriously:

1) The customer is always right
2) Free speech will always be exercised. ALWAYS

Add to that the extreme reservations most of us have in dealing with cheap Asian goods and you've got an uphill battle on your hands.

Look: take the criticism for what it is - feedback. You want to sell that helmet as a "Motorcycle Helmet" and not a "Novelty piece of crap?" Get a certification for it. DOT, Snell, whatever is legal in the market in which you're selling. If HJC can do it, you can too.

-Deek

·
Registered
419 Posts
And what about the XBone you sell on your site? It's not DOT approved, but the disclaimer isn't there, now is it?

Shady... shady deals all around. Knock it off.

-Deek

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We appreciate the feedback, but obviously not the criticism :) But we can take it on the chin.

We feel as though we offer a product which is clearly advertised at not DOT approved. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the product category page for our helmets in bold font explaining this.
We offer these products at a good price, worldwide. There is no "shady" business going on, it is quite clearly all above board.

We do not state that they are as safe as using a Shoei, Arai or any other established and approved brand.

We have tried to be clear in this, polite, offered reasons where we can, but still we feel as though by posting an advert on here, it is seen as a free for all against our business due to the fact that we offer these products.

With all that aside. I understand your point of view(s), and can understand the argument that these helmets might not be as effective as saving your life when compared with other much more expensive helmets. However, this is a business, and these are the products we are offering. If you don't like the products, or do not want to buy the products, that is fine :)

That's why you posted here and not in Thai? ฉันถูกต้องหรือไม่ .
:) I presume you are male, and therefore should in fact be using ผม and not ฉัน as the subject of the sentence.
As for the beer, it's cheap, but it's not great. Nightlife I wouldn't know about as I live in a sleepy town to the east of Bangkok.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
omegaracer, I always post as a ladyboy when dealing with anyone in Thailand. It makes them feel at home.

"But we can take it on the chin" , unlike your "helmets" ,I say.

"People know what they are getting into", yup: a cheap unrated "helmet".

You are as shady as all get out. The "legal disclaimer" to cover your ass, is about as ethical as putting one of your products on your ass.

Get out of "helmets", like anyone who has one of your "helmets" on their head should do.

You might sell five overseas before riders realise they are just shiny crap. That will be known all around the World before no time on the web.

Danger, is my business.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts