Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That's a joke if he thinks it'll pass any "pro street" tech inspection at a dragstrip. I'm not sure AHRMA does any drag racing either.
Ugh.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am a drag bike guy. I am not a two stroke guy but have seen a lot of H-2's at the track. I have never seen all three pipes going in to one chamber. Without a stinger no less. Will that work?! (I don't think so)

·
Registered
576 Posts
That bike belongs to a guy I went to college with, Ramon. He bought the thing as it sits from a shop in KC. The sound this thing has is unreal and it runs great. The shop built it more as an experiment in design than an actual functioning dragbike is the story I heard.. He tried to sell it to me a couple of years ago but I had no use for it.

Ramon probably has over a hundred bikes, all inside and all of them really unique. If your looking for something, he probably has it.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
There has been a 3 into 1 chambe set available for the Suzuki and Kawasaki triples since the 1970s. Do the work? Yes. Do the work well? Not really. They sound great, but they shift the powerband down significantly and make it narrower. On my h1 the bike would kick in about 2900 but the party was over by 5500, really low on a Kawi triple. I still have the pipe hanging from the rafters.

Surprisingly enough I have seen dodgier bikes in the lanes at Atco and e-town, but most aren't painted that pretty. Bike isn't setup to be a real drag bike, it is setup to be a street bike that likes to pretend it is a drag bike. It couldn't even run in a fast streetbike class, it is basically a track bracket bike for test and tune gamblers night races. It won't pass NHRA tech but she could run a test and tune night.

·
Registered
152 Posts
AHHHHHH Atco. It's been a few years since I was there. I remember the guys at the et booth having shotguns to scare the deer off. It could get a little scary at night knowing one of them could come out of the woods. A lot of good all motorcycle event's over the years though.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by chetriply

Ramon probably has over a hundred bikes, all inside and all of them really unique. If your looking for something, he probably has it.
Can't remember what, but I remember the username and location, he had a bike I was interested in.

Triumph, maybe Honda 750, chopper?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can you say, "pain in the ass to ride"?

Rear suspension stuff looks a little goofy and doesn't go well with the flow of the bike.

If your going to "experiment", make it look good.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen a "hardtail" with 2 sets of struts before....

Can't tell from the pic, but I hope the front ones are self-tapped into the swingarm......

Horrid.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
flow of the bike? really?

the struts are functional. I've seen two before, but I doubt these ones are strong enough to be anything more than a half assed attempt. On drag bikes having little to no rear suspension is an advantage, and the easiest way to do that is with solid struts to replace the shocks. Why is this preferred over a triangulated hardtail? well adjustability is the name of the game in drag racing and if you have a bunch of different sized struts you can dial in your ride height (and slightly change your center of gravity for the launch). However on an extended swingarm machine like this a single strut would be too far leaned over to be effective. Normally in these situations you would see a triangulates strut - one that runs from the shock mount to the swingarm mount to the rear frame brace in one piece. However I have seen some guys where they add two sets of struts - it is considered kind of a hack way of doing things but it works if done right.

The way they are set up on this bike, the front struts are bolted to a tiny tab on the swingarm, from the looks of it not a very strong tab. The rear ones also bolt up top to the rear frame rail which the builder did not install a cross brace or box up. So you have two weak points in the suspension. given the load is spread over four bars it is probably ok for the little this bike gets ridden and the fact that it is light (and whomever is going to ride it is probably light), but from a racing standpoint this may not hold up. This is not the way I would have done it and I probably wouldn't ride the bike this way.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

quote:Originally posted by chetriply

Can't remember what, but I remember the username and location, he had a bike I was interested in.

Triumph, maybe Honda 750, chopper?
This isn't the one, but yea dude's always has bikes listed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB-amen-savior-1970s-honda-cb750-four-old-school-chopper-bobber-cafe-/130488181054?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1e61b3a13e

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Benelli-Wards-Riverside-125cc-1967-benelli-riverside-125-classic-vintage-ahrma-cafe-/130488194039?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item1e61b3d3f7

1 - 13 of 13 Posts