Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
ffarl: "On a side note, Ichi has a brother who cooks. He's definitely the slow one in the family."

Ichi's brother Ken, works at the Hilton Tokyo as a doorman.

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Henry is a complete dufus and I haven't worked out yet if he thinks he's the next Gordon Ramsey or is just taking the piss.

But back to that badass 360. From where I'm sitting it looks like overall execution is not bad and the OP has not committed most of the cardinal sins, but what it lacks IMHO is a coherent design idea. Chunky tires are a sort of post "pocky clipse" street fighter, survivor type design ethos, but low bars are not consistent with that street scrambler tough look. Low bars for a street racer look need street tires to match a look as well as functionality. The lack of fenders suggests lack of understanding of old bike design shortcomings and rather than looking tough, it makes it look unfinished and not fully thought through.

For a young guy, it's a really good start and should be the basis of a continued evolution as he works on different aspects of the function and look of the bike. Many guys who build "cafe Racer styled" bikes ride them and realize that their design lacks functionality. One ride in the rain or a longish ride with low bars and stock pegs will do that or riding round some corners at moderate speed as teh bike feels "wrong" are usually enough to propel an owner to initiate phase 2 of the change process.

Projects are never finished. Some morph for decades. Some get sold and changed or sold on multiple times until they are discarded as a bad idea. And some go through a series of small changes until they start to work the way they were designed to or better and that to me is what a lot of this hobby is about.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Those scooters need to die in a fire.

does the Hague treat crimes against motorcycles and scooters like they treat crimes against humanity? I only ask because the builder should be tried and punished like a war criminal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Those scooters need to die in a fire.

does the Hague treat crimes against motorcycles and scooters like they treat crimes against humanity? I only ask because the builder should be tried and punished like a war criminal.
Its a scooter.... They are already stupid looking in stock form. If anything he is making them look funny enough that its somewhat cool. Although I dont think the frame would last on those bad boys for long... Looks like you'll have issues bending the frame over any decently sized bump. I think they look hilarious.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I had a scooter a lot like those ones once, that I fitted a full sized plastic school chair to. It went faster than stock because you sat so low out of the wind, it felt like a Go Kart. Funny things end up being done to scooters that get run over by buses after being lend to friends. All the bodywork was cracked, so I threw it all away and put the chair on it and two plastic milk crates, front and rear for storage.

I sold it to a big fat guy, he loved it. He paid me a grand for the horror, I think it owed me about 100 bucks. He used to ride past with a big dumb fat smile every goddamn day.

My excuse was the scooter got run over by a bus. What's your friends excuse? Guys?

Danger, is my business.

PS: Thanks for reminding me GT, not. I forgot about it til now. Like flares.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Teacher teacher!! Me! Me!
fenders are there to keep mud, sand, rain, pebbles, dog poo and used condoms from being thrown at the rider and the bike. The secondary function of a front fender is to provide some support to the flexible forx. See fork brace.

seriously though. You are sixteen. You have nicer bike than I did when I was sixteen, but you have messed it up as a motorcycle. Dirt tires on a lowered bike. That shit is not clever. And yes I am far too aware that idiots' bikes with similar choices are being posted on popular "not fo riding but for wanking" motoblogs. Nicely functioning bike can (and usually does) look nice. Now you have (really) made it worse than stock.

if you are insisting that the function is not important then why are you on this site?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts