Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I came across a motorcycle accident moments after it happened. this yokel just laid down highly chromed customized harley after tying a tow rope to it and trying to ride it behind a car and he was yelling at his buddy for creating slack in the line while trying to make a corner.

never occurred to me that someone might try such a thing in the middle of the day on a public road.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
too bad his bud wasn't too buzzed to check the mirrors. now that would have been funny.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
When I dragraced back in high school they had some Harley deal two, three times a season. It always seemed like there were at least a couple bikes that wouldn't start.

The one that I will always remember is the car-tire laydown bike they ultimately tried to pullstart(on a gravel access road mind you). It didn't take long for the rider and bike to fall over and then the dude in the tow vehicle drug it through the pits on it's side with the rider running behind screaming. Knew better than to laugh at the baddass Harley guys, had to hide in my truck until I could regain my composure.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, everyone knows you PUSH start them with the car.

jc

·
Registered
854 Posts
i worked at a shop in a small town next to a huge bar. we sponcered a dragracer on a kz1000 or 1100, and when he would bring it over i would ride to his house with an ATV and a piece of rope. i would cruise along at about 5 to 10 mph and he would just hang on to the rope.

i really like the idea push starting harleys with a car. get em off the road.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it looked as though they created slack in the line while making the turn and he ate it when his buddy yanked it out.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it is not that ignorant, I have been towing dead on the road bikes like that home for years. never fallen, not once. The secret is to have people who know what they are doing and to tie off to the frame not the handlebars, that way if the car jerks it just pulls you forward and not the handlebars in a funky direction. 30mph max in a straight 15mph max in a turn and you will get a bike home every time. Of course I hae had a lot of practice with this tow method, it is how you move a drag motorcycle around in the pits.

it also helps if you know how to actually ride a motorcycle, which I am assuming the guy on the harley was lacking.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yep. i see the t/f bikes being pulled with a tow strap. but those dont fall over quite as easy.

jc

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Instead of tying off the bike - I'd just hold on to the rope. If things get out of hand, you could always release the rope.

On the video....about the only thing missing was the bike rider wearing flip-flop...

The last time I towed anything was a friend's 340 snowmobile with my 650 snowmobile. At one point the tow speed reached 70mph which was 15mph faster than his sled could go. I got him home quicker than he would have been able to do on his own...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts