Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, off the crank. This adapter bolts to the end of the crank shaft and turns counter clockwise on this side of the motor.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I am thinking use the chrysler reduction starter, fit a sprocket where the drive was, use chain final reduction.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
or try it direct drive with 24 volts :D

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Push start FTW.
I'm 60 years old, it's 1327cc at 11:1cr, 90 degree summer days. I ain't pushing it around.;)

Bump start was the plan when we first started this build when I was 24.

I have some pressure relief valves to machine into the heads. he engine assembler balked at putting them in. I'm glad now he didn't because I lost a lot of confidence in him with all the issues he had assembling this motor. next year I'll pull the heads for porting and put the valves in then, should make bump starting a bunch easier.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm 60 years old, it's 1327cc at 11:1cr, 90 degree summer days. I ain't pushing it around.;)

Bump start was the plan when we first started this build when I was 24.

I have some pressure relief valves to machine into the heads. he engine assembler balked at putting them in. I'm glad now he didn't because I lost a lot of confidence in him with all the issues he had assembling this motor. next year I'll pull the heads for porting and put the valves in then, should make bump starting a bunch easier.
There's always plan "C"

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Charlie looked through his parts stash and found a 60-70s Chrysler starter and confirmed it is a counter rotating unit I can have. I'll see if it is an acceptable donor.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If so pretty much any old v8 starter will do the deed. they all turn clockwise looking at balancer,
No they won't. I have three starters under the bench that won't crank the Weslake. And none of them would crank a V twin. Probably all three together wouldn't crank Marc's twin. I'm cranking a 13:1 540cc single with 35 deg. fixed advance. It does it without any problem. 24v. might be a good idea for a V twin. Doc Z roller starters use two 6v. Ford starters off a 12v. battery. Great starter but big bucks.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
If this is a problem for you then I'd also be worried about how a remote starter powerful enough to crank this motor might rip your arms off.

I think Geets suggestion of a roller starter would be the better option. They are kinda portable (well, at least the MotoGP ones are).

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If this is a problem for you then I'd also be worried about how a remote starter powerful enough to crank this motor might rip your arms off.

I think Geets suggestion of a roller starter would be the better option. They are kinda portable (well, at least the MotoGP ones are).
I don't think my arms are the issue. I would have preferred a wider spread on the handles though and will do that if I end up making a new one myself.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The torque of the starter shouldn't be a problem Some of the Harley guys at Bonneville use hand held with no problem. A roller starter would work just as well. i did a search on roller starters a while back. The MotoGP starters are available if you have around $2100. Doc Z makes great and portable roller starters. I got to use one at Bonneville in 2007 with my Norton. Worked as well as anything. I was all fired up to get one when I got home. Until I saw the price. At that time the one I had used (two 6v. Ford starters running off a 12v. battery) was $1100. That's out of my league. I bought my starter, rebuilt, for around $250. It would have been cheaper but I didn't have a core. The mount and handles didn't cost anything. They were bits laying around the garage. The cart was from some scrap 1/2" conduit and some 1/8" plate. The wheels were $5 Harbor Freight. Things don't have to be expensive to work.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
These units are for XR750's. I've got a call in to the maker to see how his works and what's different from his and mine;

this one is for XR750's also and runs $325

This one runs $550:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Marc,

what is your plan with the starter? Is it going to be transported with you? Or will you only use the bike at a location where you have trailered it?

The reason I ask is that many people use a set of rollers that you put under a car wheel to start their race bikes. They are simple and not too expensive, but do require your car to drive the rollers.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think an inertia starter would be the cat's meow.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
This is what I was talking about.

I used to see them advertised in Roadracing World, but can't find it in any of my recent issues. Wouldn't be hard to make, I'd guess.....considering all the other fab work you've done.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is what I was talking about.

I used to see them advertised in Roadracing World, but can't find it in any of my recent issues. Wouldn't be hard to make, I'd guess.....considering all the other fab work you've done.
Hm, might get interesting if you don't have an open diff!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Roller starter is not as practical in some venues as a hand held would be. I've seen variations of them that run off a battery and don't need the vehicle assist. I may make one of those rollers anyways. Still remains to be seen how hard the bike will be to bump start because none of the starter work once you are leaving your destination and don't have the starter with you.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts