Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Marc is right. A roller starter is impractical particularly for LSR. Particularly Bonneville. They are awkward and require a couple of people to manhandle them in and out of a truck. A hand held starter is really the only solution. At Bonneville Joe, my crewman, starts me. He puts the starter back on the dolly, leaves it at the line and then chases me. No hold up of people behind waiting to run. On the way back to the pits we stop and pick up the starter. Roller starters lie shown would make you really popular with those in line.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Marc, did you ever figure this out? I was going to post a picture of one that I got in a bunch of parts a while back thats a mopar starter for a drag bike.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Boy that's about as basic as you can get on a starter isn't it. My friend gave me a Chrysler starter motor that runs counter clockwise so I have that issue solved. I found though that while turning the motor I can grab the shaft and stop it from spinning even though the starter motor is still turning. So I have to pull the reduction gear case apart and see why it does that. Feels like it has a centrifugal clutch but it shouldn't. Another "if it's not one thing , it's another.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
are you saying you willingly grabbed the pinion of a chrysler reduction starter with it running? man you got big ones! :D

it may just be the drive. that metal cover pops off for a look see. the clutch right out at the pinion goes south, you may be able to weld the halves together without much disassembly.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
are you saying you willingly grabbed the pinion of a chrysler reduction starter with it running? man you got big ones! :D

it may just be the drive. that metal cover pops off for a look see. the clutch right out at the pinion goes south, you may be able to weld the halves together without much disassembly.
I think I have large ones but I'm not foolish. My starter has a 9" shaft (like we wish we all did) that can be stopped while in motion.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
oh lol

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah, truly old school slapped together but it howls.

I also have a little air compressor the guy made out of a small motorcycle starter that is really cool. probably not very safe but cool.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Have you considered running the starter motor on 24v? I used to work with a guy that built GS drag motors for street class and he ran 2 x 12v batteries to power the standard GS starter motor (we're talking about 1800cc 4 cylinder motors here). With the short amount of time the starter motor was actually running he found no problems running them at 24v.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The short amount of time a starter runs 24v won't hurt a 12v starter. Some of the car guys do the same without problems. Doz Z roller starters use two 6v Ford starters on a 12v battery. I mentioned this to a friend who has been around for a long time. Seems a 6v starter on 12v is not that uncommon. My 12v starter works fine on 12v. Once you get the drive problem sorted I'd try it on 12v before going to 24v.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
The problem with a 24v system. which I have considered as a last resort, is that it takes away the hand held capability and probably end up with a hand cart set up. This one if need be can be stowed in a back pack if necessary.
Hoof, my intentions are to get it where the gears are locked and then see if the small 12v battery has enough juice to turn over this motor at 10.5:1 to 11:1cr. If it doesn't I planned on trying it at 24v and then decide which way I have to go for a final starter.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I've seen those "compact" starters with the starter fixed and the battery underneath. But I believe they, being a fixed height, are specific to a machine. Having the starter "loose" and hand held works better for me. But that means I have to have a cart. Or in my case a dolly. I made it out of some left over 1/2" conduit, a piece of 3/8" round stock, some 1/8" plate and a couple of $4 Harbor Freight wheels. Battery on the bottom and a couple of hangers for the starter. The hard part is lifting it into the truck after a run. I'd hate trying to lift two 12v batteries.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have a couple of hand carts here I could use but your last few comments are what I am trying to avoid. My handheld with enough power to turn over my motor would be ideal. I may find I just can't have everything I want.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I guess I should have qualified that. I lift it out of the truck when I get there and back in when I leave. During the week it travels in the sidecar. But it has wheels. Those others you posted don't. That would be a deal breaker for me. Gotta be able to roll it.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
The problem with a 24v system. which I have considered as a last resort, is that it takes away the hand held capability and probably end up with a hand cart set up. This one if need be can be stowed in a back pack if necessary.
If you put another battery of the same size on your current hand held starter to make it 24v it would still be able to be used by hand.

Or have a starter unit with a remote battery pack. Either way, it shouldn't be too heavy to manage.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If you put another battery of the same size on your current hand held starter to make it 24v it would still be able to be used by hand.

Or have a starter unit with a remote battery pack. Either way, it shouldn't be too heavy to manage.
I'm looking at way to get a second like size battery on this. I may end up just making my own unit. I just need to find out where to get a gear case. The rest is basic fabrication that doesn't add up to $350

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm wondering why you would need 24v anyway. A good 12v car battery and your starter should be more than enough. My battery is four years old. We made 9 runs this year, had some problems and cranked the shit out of the engine trying to find the problem. I didn't have to charge the battery during the week. I'm getting the feeling you are over thinking this.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'm wondering why you would need 24v anyway. A good 12v car battery and your starter should be more than enough. My battery is four years old. We made 9 runs this year, had some problems and cranked the shit out of the engine trying to find the problem. I didn't have to charge the battery during the week. I'm getting the feeling you are over thinking this.
That will be one step in the process. I'd rather not need a battery as large as a car battery. like I said, I might not be able to have what I want.

i

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'd be nervous using a small battery with a car starter. Up to this year I used a car battery in the sidecar. It drove a coil and a small fuel pump. Run all week and not give it a thought. This year with the sidecar change I had to go to a smaller battery. Same coil and fuel pump and a huge voltage drop in one three mile run. I'm rethinking this right now. Go with a car battery and take away one more worry you don't need at Bonneville.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts