Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an early '60s rough-looking CB77. The chrome is bad, seat is torn, front fender has been cut, and the worst thing is it jumps out of 2nd gear. Other than having a nice & big front drum brake, would these make a nice vintage racer? I assume parts are a lot more rare (compared to a CB350) and expensive for these?

I guess I just think they have a cool look.

Tom W.
'70 CL350

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
gotta love them superhawks! considering that your gonna use the brakes, frame, and engine, i'd say do it!

they make cool race bikes. ask c. marsh.

tex

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Tom,
They do make cool race bikes and are a sharp bike.
BUT, you don't see a lot of people racing them. To get the engines to make power you really have to know your stuff. Chris Marshall probably knows them as well as anyone in the country and has EXTENSIVE experience building them. Maybe he'll check this site and give you an idea of what you are getting into. But I think to sum it up...you'll be starting with something that needs a lot more than some other bikes to make it go fast and stay together. And you'll need to be a top notch rider (like Marshall) to exploit the bike to it's fullest.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey, if you want a fairly cheap ride for the 350gp class (and the pre65 class), I've got a Yami Big Bear 305cc bike, fresh top end!

The CB72/77 need 350 kits, cams, a lot, and vibrate like a sex toy on crack, so they break a lot. They're are money and labor intensive, but that is a good front brake(!)

Dgy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, you need lots of $$, lots of tuning experience, and have to be a good rider, all things I lack. On the other hand the only things going for it are the front brake and good looks.

I better see if he'll knock some more off the price!

Magnetoczar: I'd ask for a pic but I saw you're on the opposite coast.

Tom

Tom W.
'70 CL350

1 - 7 of 7 Posts