Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my itch for riding is getting pretty bad since my CB750 has been in pieces. I need something to ride and I came accross a Buell Blast for cheap. From what I read their reliable, fun to ride, lacks in power but gets great gasmileage and cheap insurance. I will be using it for daily driving for work and what not, like 175 or so miles a week. Sounds about perfect for what I need, opinions?

·
Registered
699 Posts
oh they are fine if you like to look like a newbie girl riding and can deal with antique technology and way too much weight for the power that it has.

*disclaimer, this post has been fueled by sam adams

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
how tall are you? A buddy of mine owns a blast - he is very short. I rode it and I have to say I have ridden vespas with more rider room than that sucker. Other than that they are fun bikes to use as commuter trash. If you can fit on it and ride it then buy it and have fun.

they are basically 1/2 of a sportster - 500cc. I have always wanted to build a street tracker out of one.

here is a chopper blast:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3431737

cafe Blast (this is hawt):
http://www.crossroadsperformance.com/blastard.htm

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
if, and it happens often, you can buy a nearly new and creamy one for less than a crisp vintage jap bike

do it

anything HD always retains it's value

however this is a Buell and they are wonderful bargains since they aren't held in any higher regard than a bad case dia or gona rhea by the HD AND Buell faithful

so snag them

keep them bone stock if they are perfect and one day it will be worth real money just like you see people now paying stupid money for ALL the old various foreign made toy bikes wearing HD's name

or make whatever suits you from them and put HD emblems on it

some bonehead will walk up and offer you the moon and stars for it

I guess I could tell you about the time I put a SL70 engine in a Z50

painted it all black with pepper red trim........ made a very loud straight megaphone for it

drag bars

removed most all the padding from the stock seat/maxi pad

fitted street pattern scooter type tires

and put HD stickers on the tank

people went nuts over it

it was fast though, imagine being on a Z50 cafe that would break 60 mph

truly border line terrifying for a grown man that knows there is no chance in hades it will stop or do anything like handle

sorry for the windbag rant but if you run across a really cheap cream puff buell, single or twin

I'm in the mood for one

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
get the blast if you want to b last. ex500 or the gs550 are cool modern twins that'll spank the Buell in every conceivable way.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
699 Posts
i suppose my post was harsh, but i was there when rich king was trying to dirt track one of them for factory harley...it was a huge joke. if i were you, i'd listen to these older/wiser gentlemen instead of me! LOL!!

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Go ahead and get it if it is cheap. There are a fair number of hop up parts available if you look. I would keep it mostly stock except for unbolting some of the plastic cover kind of parts. Try and strip it down some without really changing too much.
I always thought they were kind of cool.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
they are basically 1 cylinder 883 sportys, at least the barrel and head are, and if you can upgrade an 883 to a 1200 with a barrel and head change then you can make a 500cc buell into a 600cc buell the same way....

I wonder if the motor mounts are the same as a sportster's mounts? if they are will a blast fit in an old champion frame setup for a sporty motor?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at Ex250s 500s and GS 500s, if I can't get it I know a local dealer that has a couple GS500 their having a issue unloading (everyone wants 600s and 1000s), its just the GS will cost double the blast would, but it would be brand new. I just basically want something to run around till my 750 is done

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
we have a new 07 gs500 we can't get rid of at my work. the ex500 generates a lot more interest. i have tried selling it at the same price as an 08 ex250 but people just won't have it. gs500 is air/oil, the ex500 is liquid (same price) the front end on the gs500 uses pillow grade fork oil too. in other words it is way to soft. everyone calls the 500s itty bitty and they want no part of it, nevermind the fact they can't afford a 9000 dollar zx-6r or that they have never ridden a bike before.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Go for it. They are a solid bike. I don't think they were ever designed as a rocket ship. They can be made to go pretty quick. This is Sheri Buchta's Blast sidecar. It has run 106 with the chair. JD's performance holds the Bonneville record in the modified class at 124 on gas and 126 on fuel. But as a get to work machine you can't go wrong. That is, unless you have one of those bright red mohawks glued on yourhelmet.

By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2008-06-28

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hoof man
they run a passenger for actual speed runs? or just attach something that looks like someone could ride there.
-parks

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The SCTA doesn't allow passengers or require ballast. The BUB meet at Bonneville allows passengers or ballast in lieu of a passenger. John Noonan has a 220mph Hayabusa sidecar. I wouldn't want to be the passenger!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

The SCTA doesn't allow passengers or require ballast. The BUB meet at Bonneville allows passengers or ballast in lieu of a passenger. John Noonan has a 220mph Hayabusa sidecar. I wouldn't want to be the passenger!
Agreed whats that like 3 or 4 inches off the ground?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My favorite 500 cc Sportster:
[/img]
used the front cyl, as a supercharger and ran on the salt. Hoof, have you seen this bike?
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
699 Posts
that dirt tracker up there is in an xr750 chassis i believe. probably a c&j from looking at the swingarm.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
BCR, I haven't seen that one before. Looks really inteesting. Any more details? Keenan Tatro, out of San Diego, had a 500cc Sportster. He used to rear cyliner with the front cylinder blanked off. He still holds the 500cc pushrod gas class record at el Mirage at 126.867mph. He also ran it on fuel and after a lot of (literally) blow ups got it to 149 at El Mirage and 152 at Muroc. The bike also holds anumber of records at Bonneville.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
wonder how that yellow one works out

played it thru my addled head a time or two and can't see it being effective for a couple of reasons

Hoof, have you any idea why so many of the boosted classes have record speeds slower than the equivalent normally aspirated classes?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts