Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been looking for a cafe racer project bike and i found this on craigslist. i don't know much about these older bikes yet. can anyone see any major problems from the pictures. or anything that would make this no good even for $150. all opinions welcome. thanks

http://tampa.craigslist.org/mcy/440274915.html

-robbie

live to ride, ride to live

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldnt give him what hes asking , Ide offer $50.00 if you really want it. When I bought mine he was asking $500.00 I emailed him & told him Ill come pick it up today & all I have is $100.00 cash on me he said come get it. The no title thing is a pain in the butt so check into that first unless you want it just for parts.

see pics of my rebuild here

http://www.myspace.com/whiteboytsbr

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldnt give him what hes asking , Ide offer $50.00 if you really want it. When I bought mine he was asking $500.00 I emailed him & told him Ill come pick it up today & all I have is $100.00 cash on me he said come get it. The no title thing is a pain in the butt so check into that first unless you want it just for parts.

see pics of my rebuild here

http://www.myspace.com/whiteboytsbr

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
a 360 that rough and no title.....

...he'd have to pay me $50 to haul it away. Don't just pass, run screaming in the other direction as fast as you can.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
A buddy bought five 360s together in that condition for $150.

Every state is different, but in Iowa it's no big deal to get a title for something. I have a buddy who's a deputy sheriff run the VIN so if it's stolen it becomes a parts bike, which thankfully hasn't happened yet. Then send a form to the DOT and go through a little proccess and get it titled. It cost me about $50 to title my 72 GT550 about a month ago.

Anyhow check into your local laws. I purposely look for bikes with no title now. I can normally buy and title them for much less than what they'd want if they had paperwork.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input. i am going to pass. i am not particularly worried about the no title thing. it is atleast a three hour drive to go get it too. will keep looking.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
i don't know much about these older bikes yet.
Don't make the newbie mistake and buy a project that is "over your head" just because it is cheap. Buy the best possible bike you can afford, really spend the money up front because it is always cheaper than buying the missing or broken parts individually later.

The one lesson you will learn about old bikes is there will always be something to fix. Even the most pristine restored bike will have a problem sooner than later because at the very least you are dealing with old, temperd, brittle metal. Even my 1975 honda which has less service issues than most new bikes still needs at least one thing attended to every month (and right now she needs several).

$1000-$1500 should get you a fairly popular, good condition, 1970s japanese superbike (500cc and up), if you don't have it save it up - trust me it will be worth it.

quote:
dude, what are you 15 years old? This is the gayest slogan ever. Even gayer than clubmans. You ever see the bikes parked infront of the infamous gay club "the Manhole", harleys with that slogan gold plated all over them. It is gayer than a fanny pack.

(we haven't had a good gay up of anything in a while....I figured I would start here).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
quote:
i see a 59 club patch in his future.

NCNR
is that the new cafe racer posuer decal du jour? I hadn't noticed....

I think I am going to stat a new 77 club. I thought about starting the 69 club but then I realized with 77 you get ate (eight) more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
quote:

Even gayer than clubmans. You ever see the bikes parked infront of the infamous gay club "the Manhole", harleys with that slogan gold plated all over them. It is gayer than a fanny pack.

(we haven't had a good gay up of anything in a while....I figured I would start here).
Are we bringing back the "gay" descriptor or did it never go away? You guys must be in your mid '30s because when you were in elementary school, this was a popular tag for things designated to that category.

What else is currently deemed "gay"? (personally, I LIKE clubmans, and I still own a fanny pack!)

Old enough to see what goes around, comes around.

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
yeah it never really went away. However I think it has morphed from being a negative term with involving someone's sexual preference into a descriptive term of the effiminate nature of something traditionally thought of as masculine.

quote:...and I still own a fanny pack!
WOW! and you admit this freely. You are not one of these people that tries to convince other people it is cool by wearing on the hip and calling it a holster? Fanny packs for women are different than fanny packs for men. Next time you see a man with one take a good hard look at him and try to come up with a descriptive term for that look....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes; fanny packs for men are gay. For women; they are just a convenience to hold your wallet and keys and free up both hands. Need more women's jackets with inside pockets; unless you want to wear a shoulder holster.

All those chrome cruiser decorations are gay; especially the stuffed animal bungeed to the back. Mickey Mouse ear round mirrors on a cafe racer are gay (70's bikes mostly).

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

1 - 17 of 17 Posts