Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '74 cb360 (4700 miles) runs fine to about 5000 rpm & then the left cyl stops firing. I checked the plug & it looks rich. The right side is fine. The timing's set properly, and the plugs are gapped properly as well. The air idler screw on this carb is turned out almost as far as I can get it. I can nurse it up to about 9000 rpm in first gear, but whenever I try to open the throttle, the left cyl dies. I have tried to clean the carbs with Gumout spray carb cleaner, but haven't taken them off the bike yet (I'm lazy & trying to avoid doing it if I don't have to) Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
probably one of your jets (pilot) is flooding that cylinder. if the carbs are cv type like the cb350's they have o-rings that go bad after time. sounds like you need a keyster carb rebuild kit. google keyster and go from there.

texy

"dude, my boots feel like they are filled with rain slushies!"

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I suspected a carb rebuild, but was hoping to find out it was something else I'd overlooked.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I doubt you are having the same problem I had at Mosport.....but you'd be surprised the kinda shit that can get sucked into a carb. Check out the chunk of gravel I found after an off track excursion last month.
Sitting and revving was no problem, but as soon as I put it in first you'd think I had the choke on, on a warm motor.

If tomorrow really is the first day of the rest of my life....does that mean all the shit I do today can't be held against me?

Edited by - Bandit on Sep 03 2006 5:16:20 PM

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
graham,

were you up at the mosport festival 8/17-18? what were you riding?

i was up there on my cb350 in p1 350 & p2 lightweight.

great time execpt the p1 350 final with all the red flags!

-tex

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
an easy thing to try. pull your points cover off then ride it. could be arcing points on that side. just something easy to try first. maybe a coil too??? try switching coil wires from one side to the other. i mean, you may not have to go through your carbs. just a suggestion.

jc

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had that problem once before with the points cover. I did notice a lot of stray spark from the points when I fired it up with the cover off, so I cleaned & regapped them until they fired properly. Then went for a test ride. Same problem. Plug chop at end of ride shows left cyl still rich. Right cyl shows a perfect burn.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the carbs, and removed the bowl from the left carb. Main jet was only halfway screwed in - about to fall out into the bowl. Tightened it up, went for a test ride and it's running super. Pulls good all the way to redline. The best kind of fix - free. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
602 Posts
quote:
graham,

were you up at the mosport festival 8/17-18? what were you riding?

i was up there on my cb350 in p1 350 & p2 lightweight.

great time execpt the p1 350 final with all the red flags!

-tex

Yup! I was there. If you click on Vintage Motorcycle Racing, go to page two, look for the header "MOSPORT" then go to the 10th thread you'll see my bike.
What were you riding. My pit was right in front of the Tech area, would have been great to meet a fellow Caferacer.net member. Oh well there's always next year. Or, the last regional at Shannonville at the end of Sept. They run (Vintage Challenge) P1 vs P2----P3 vs P4 as well as Sportsman Lightweight. My P2 350 qualifies for the Sportsman Lightweight. The P3 vs P4 is a bit out of my league but it gets me track time and I actually won my heat race in the rain. Here's a link to the results on the VRRA site
http://www.vrra.ca/board/viewtopic.php?t=4533&highlight=heat+race
Any chance you'll be coming up for this one?

Graham

If tomorrow really is the first day of the rest of my life....does that mean all the shit I do today can't be held against me?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts