Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what was the funkiest thing you ate today? we had a very traditional meal...nothing exotic. any of you gun types do any game food this year?
-parks

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Traditionnal turkey I cooked on the weber grill , but I went for a nice ride on the bike after dinner and I think I ate some kind of bug. Great weather in Schenectady. 33 degrees for evening ride in late Nov. is perfect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I deep fried our turkey after a 12 hr brine in salt and brown sugar. Came out great. Also had two kinds of stuffing (cornbread and turkey - both from a box), pumpkin pie, sweet potato/pecan tarts my wife made, and garlic mashed potatoes. We had 8 people and didn't have very much turkey left and very little of anything else for left overs. I've had enough of the in-laws until xmas.

Thought about taking a quick ride but there was just enough ice still around that I decided against it. Also the salt residue makes the intersections a bit slippery.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
We had a couple bottles of nice Spanish wine, an interesting Argentinian wine, some really good Bloody Marys, A growler of a local micro-brew and finished it off with some Sambuca. All in all a lovely Thanksgiving with just our son and daughter-in-law. We will be having a larger ensemble of family at Christmas.

Ken

Oh yeah, we had a turkey and other food, too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The wild turkeys that roam our hill have kept themselves out of sight lately. . . we had a beef stir-fry with lots of Thai chili/basil paste and plenty of Guinness. Didn't feel like poultry, particularly, but we've got an Aracauna rooster that's been biting me when I collect eggs, so he's a likely candidate for the crock pot.

Thinking of Thanksgiving '95, barbecued turkey on the deck at Luli's Beach Club in Rincon, PR, after a long sweet day of surfing overhead waves at Maria's. . .

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Anybody see that movie called "Poultrygiest" ...pretty funny. About a chicken farm built on top of an Indian burial ground.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
39 Posts
quote:Originally posted by parks61

had no idea aracuana roosters had eggs you could collect. that's outside the box.
-parks
Little bastard likes to roost in one of the nest boxes. Laid my wrist open last night, right through a fleece, when I reached for an egg. Seven months old, just right for stew, old enough to be tasty, but not so's he'll be all stringy. Too bad, he's a good-looking boy, but I'm not waiting for him to get spurs and slash somebody, me probably. Don't feel like plucking tomorrow (still getting bikes ready for winter storage!), so it'll probably be next weekend. Mmmm-mmm, chicken and dumplings!

Of course, I've been doing my best Ewan and Charley impression, "We want a leg of roast goat apiece, big goats!" for our goats. . .

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
deer season here this year allows for THREE DOES daily....

amazingly, I didn't find any venison on any of the large and wonderfully food laden tables at which I sat and ate

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm all into bizarre foods . Pig ears , Tripe , chicken hearts , chiturrie ( pig intestines ) , head cheese , sweet bread , armadillo , sting ray , and just about any organ out of a chicken , cow , pig or fish .
Heck , anyone here ever had civet coffee ? I've tried it one time . Awesome but not worth the money .It's something to do once though .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Oh...I had to tie the legs of the turkey back and I didn't have any bakers string, so I used my safety wire and spin plyers....my father-n-law was cracking up, but it worked...and the turkey ran better then my bike.

·
Registered
838 Posts
We had the standard Turkey and trimmings, but one dish really stood out. My 4 yr. old niece had insisted on helping in the kitchen and was put in charge of adding the milk to the mashed potatoes and the corn starch to the gravy while her mother did the stirring. Would you like one or two lumps of gravy in your puddle of 'Katie's Taters'?

·
Registered
569 Posts
not thanksgiving related...but, when I was married we lived next to a dairy farm, one time the farm mom called and asked if my son could stay for dinner, - what'ya having....oh, licker & ticker stew, our kids love it. ....think about it. he didn't stay for dinner that night.

dch.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
DCH,

Licker is REALLY good. When I am in Mexico a traditional Sunday morning food is Barbacoa. The BEST and rarest Barbacoa is Barbacoa de lingua, since there is only one per cow. Slow cooked, fine chopped, eat on a tortilla with onion, cilantro,lime juice and a dash of hot sauce---food of the Gods!!

The only thing I can't eat there is Menudo--I soup made with tripe. I just can't get that meat past my lips, the texture is disgusting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts