Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has painted over part of my CL360 tank. Only the very top of the tank. It's not a half bad paint job but I was cleaning it and some of it came off. I decided to keep wiping because I could see the beautiful sparkle orange underneath, but no use. It apparently doesn't have a clear coat and is almost spray paint ish.... Is there anyway to remove this coat with out ruining the orange underneath it?
Cheers!
PS- Same with the side panels. They're overpainted black as well, spill a little fuel on them and the overpaint ripples.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've removed spray paint over automotive paint with rubbing compound and either a rag or 0000 steel wool. In either case you'll need to machine polish the original paint when you're done, but it will get rid of the overspray. Don't use to much pressure or you'll start to remove the original paint!

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
try a little bit of gasoline - the original paint should have a hardener in it that will resist gas, but spraypaint won't.

test this in an inconspicuous area first!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have used the gas method that bor was talking about with great success in the past. I wouldnt suggest using steel wool with it. A slight abrasive cloth, like the red shop towels does good. Steel wool goes through it to fast and can damage the paint underneath. Use only a lit bit of gas and have a clean towel and some water to keep wiping it. Again, do it an inconspicuous area though, incase it doesnt work as well as it has for me in the past.

·
Registered
692 Posts
quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

try a little bit of gasoline - the original paint should have a hardener in it that will resist gas, but spraypaint won't.

test this in an inconspicuous area first!
+1 on the gas . If that's not enough use some paint thinner on a good rag .

I'm in the middle of stripping a tank right now too. It sucks to see someone do a crappy rattlecan job to cover a decent stock paint . I guess everyone is entitled to at least 1 momentary lapse of reason.[:I]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Gasoline it is. I tried Naptha but it didn't seem to do the job. I'll let ya know how it goes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts