Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to make a 1982 cb 450t hawk into a cafe racer....i cant find any tank or seat that fits this bike, anyone outthere know of any tank and seat that fit. maybe even ment for another bike but fits on mine anyway? any info would be a help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what style cafe bike are you looking for?? The tank is cool as is.. just remove the seat and covers and see whats left..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wasnt aware there were any styles of cafe, im pretty new to this. im just looking to strip ALL excess weight off my bike, make it as utterly fast as possible, and in doing this seems to have me get a lower profile(tank and/or seat) i cant find any parts that fit my bike, maybe you know where to find them or know of any parts(seats,tanks) from another bike

·
Registered
116 Posts
What’s your budget and what fabrication skills do you have? I’m not personally aware of any tanks or seats that are a direct replacement for your factory parts, but with enough skill or money you can make anything fit. Do you have any pictures of bikes you like that have the tanks or seats you are looking for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
????idk. ill be fine with anything really as long as its streched, and the seat is short nothing excess. pretty much no money, no sweet skills....just alot of green-pads, T.E.M.P., steel wool and elbow grease. oh yeah and some tools to take stuff off with is about as far as i got so far. {it runs like a champ:)}

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
is this what you got?

do you want to go fast in a straight line or around a track?

take the seat and tank off and take a measuring tape and get some numbers. most places and sellers have deminsions for their products.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
decky,

fill out you bio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tex

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
decky,
If you don't fill out your bio, Texy is going to hound you forever and I am not going to answer any questions for you.

Ken

and I have some ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all right all right i did, now give me my answers. Yup thats what i have. I want to go fast in a straight line.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My buddy Myk has one, we messed with it a bit and have more planned for the winter.

If you shorten your seat pan, you can (after a certain amount of surgery) move that rear cowl forward as well. It's a good looking tail and will allow you to keep your seat structure which is pretty comfy.

That and some clubman bars and you're dialed.

I can't seem to host a pic at the moment, gimme youre email address and I'll show you what I mean. makes a huge difference.

As for going faster, there's not a ton of stuff out there that'll bolt on. Get some shorty megaphone mufflers..they'll flow better and weigh less. Grab some 30mm Mikuni VM series carbs and pods (will need to jet). You can get a little out of having the head flycut 30 thou to boost the compression and do a little port work on the short side, cut down the valve guides where they protrude into the ports too.
You have the sportier version so you have cams that are as good as you'll find in OEM, but you can send your cams in to delta cams and have the base circle ground which will net you a bit more lift and duration, worked well for my old cj360 and this cb500t I'm thrashing on. Keep in mind you'll never beat up on sportbikes but you can have a lot of fun.

Everything else should be a campaign of weight loss and improved handling.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Swagger gave some good advice. Given the limitations of you engine as swagger pointed out, I would put the effort into suspension and handling. The forks were fairly wimpy on those bikes with some of them having a stamped steel top triple clamp. The rear shocks were bad even when new. If you go with bars that put your hands below the top triple clamp you will probably want to look at rearsets of some sort. Good tires are always a plus.

Ken

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Just got a response from Delta Cams. It's going to cost $65US to have a pair of stock CB450 cams welded and reground for more performance. This beats the hell out of the $450 plus I was looking at spending for a pair of aftermarket cams that would yield similar performance benefits. This is a boon to someone who's building a streetable motor on a budget.

I know there are guys that frown on reground cams, but I've run them in several bikes and cars with great success, never had a failure. The one in the Dodge(4x4) has close to 50k on it and is still going strong.

Contact this cat: [email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts