Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to have to replace the clutch in my 72 cb750 soon. i need something that can hold 80whp. what brands have a good name and reputation? what should i watch out for?
what are you running geeto? you have had a couple hot 750s from what i can tell.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I used to run barnett clutches but the problem I find is that the fibers and plates are way thicker than stock and when the clutch heats up has a tendency to drag. Also the clutch pull is way way stiffer than it needs to be. It also can be a pain in the ass to adjust.

I talked to some old racers and street guys and they clued me in to running a stock clutch plate and fiber setup with barnett springs. Works much much better. There are guys I know who make more than 80hp with their street bikes and this is the setup they use. I run this on all my street bikes now and it works well. The secret is to break the clutch in nice and easy so as not to glaze it right away.

Yosh used to make a clutch kit for cb750s back in the day, they even made hydro conversions and dry clutch conversions. I have only ever seen one but supposedly they were real good. However, I think the only company that makes a performance clutch for the cb750 is barnett. Their stuff is real good but their clutch is really for race bikes because of the dragging and heavy pull.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
That's the same solution found by lots of guys racing vintage hondas....OEM plates, Barnett springs. For the exact reasons Geeto suggests. Seems to work from 175's to 750's.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
326 Posts
Same here Barnett Kevlar fiber discs.

My buddy has them on his KZ 750 and it's got a BUNCH of miles on that clutch pack. The bike has 40K mi.+ on it and I believe it has only had the stock pack and only ONE set of Barnetts. If anything they are durable! I can't remember,but his may have came with one more disc than stock? Some kits used to come like that,but you had to get another factory plate to add in the pack.

The first thing you will notice though is the drag/pull.
When his was new and you stopped at a light/stop sign you either had to keep the brake on or physically hold the bike back from trying to roll through the intersection. Also when you go to start the bike it may jump forward as well. His bike still does these things,but not as bad since the pack/springs are more worn in.

Don't know,but the regular Barnett fiber discs may not drag as bad?

Edited by - coolatula on Nov 17 2007 11:11:36 AM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts