Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help finding a replacement of this thing. its held on with two bolts like a early 70's honda.

it has "TK" marked on it.

does anyone have a clue what it might have come off of?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
what size hose fits those nipples?

the calander scale reference doesn't quite cut it for me

neat looking petcock though

I guess one day I should round up my entire collection and share some pix of them

I've been known to build an entire fuel tank around a really cool fuel tap and have a few waiting in the wings

also...... I doubt knowning it's origin is important just to kit it

the on/off rubber appears to be reasonably "same ol same ol" standard and common

and the round seal for the bottom should be quite easy.......

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a new pretty one would be much better though. and it looks like its had some jb weld applied to it covering up some leaks near the hoses.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
so what size are the nipples?

do you have the tank it screws to?

I'd guess you must as I am unable to see any reason to custom fab/modify a tank to accept such a lowly petcock

a lot of work when you consider deals on ebay can be had for 20 bucks shipped for 100 buck retail petcocks which are all about reliability and performance

and to fit them to your tank of choice would likely require no additional work compared to modifying one to accept that petcock...!!!

I'm saying this because I'd assume you'd show a picture of a tank it actually fits if you were truly sincere about IDing it and had such a tank........

I'd suggest if you have fallen in love with the petcock that there are much sexier ones to be had which are designed to be lifetime serviceable and without using proprietary parts

and well worth welding a bung into whichever tank you will be using

neat petcock and all but nothing sexy about it

just look at any number of very fine aftermarket petcocks out there for HD's and others

poke about on ebay

hope that helps and you don't find it too abrasive

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the gas tank is an old Dunstall fiberglass tank. i don't have any really good pics of it. i would use the stock CB750 petcock, as the bolt holes line up but the tank has a wider hole in the middle for the fuel to flow thru.

plus a cb750 petcock would hit the frame at the current location on the tank. this one clears the frame by a cunt hair as it is.

i appreciate the response, but it would just be much easier to find a replacment, or have this one brazed to stop if from leaking. We could move the subject of the thread to "how to braze aluminum to brass on a petcock" and that would be benifitial too. I wouldn't know where to begin on brazing and what all is needed to do that.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
that is likely zinc or potmetal

I'd just about promise you that

it really isn't weld or braze friendly and at the same time cancers like magnesium from the inside out

those brass fittings are typically "swedged" in place

I really don't know what it's from

what size ID hose fits on those nipples?

that would be a clue to somebody that may or may not know

my guess is that many of the fine gas resistant epoxies will indeed do the job

IF

you'd like to see a reasonably diverse selection of identifiable petcocks

I could probably snap some pix and since it's a glass tank

modifying it for something else would be quite easy

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i picked up som fuel resistant epoxy sealer today. i'll put that on there and clean it up a bit and be happy i hope.

back to brazing, while i was at the store i picked up some brazing rods and a bottle of mapp gas and i'd like to try learning this method of attaching metal to metal. the rods say no flux needed. how does one braze two metals together? i got an aluminum braze rod, and one for steel.
from what i've read, you heat up the two metals and touch the rod to it and it melts....and somehow doesn't just roll right off the part on to the floor.
does this sound accurate? do i need to heat the crap out of it or do short burst or what?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread....don't know what that came off of. Kinda looks like the one on my CB750 but with a different bottom piece...flat where the 750's had a bowl. Would a new petcock from a 750 work if you used the bottom "flat" pieces vs the bowl shaped one ? Possible save a bit of clearance.

On another note....do you have any pics of your XS with the Firestones on there ? The 4.00-19 and the 450-18 rear ? Also, what size rims did you use - stock ? Or did you have to go a bit wider ?
If you do - [email protected]
Much appreciated

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Aside from the flat bottom, it could also be a cb350f petcock. But I think that one only has 1 hose nipple coming out of it. I can float you a picture if you'd like. I've been looking at this pic for days now.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
you need to come hang out for a while

I'm on the pda but if nobody else chimes in I'll see what I can stroke out for you

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

you need to come hang out for a while

I'm on the pda but if nobody else chimes in I'll see what I can stroke out for you
how far from Bristol TN are you? i'm about 3.5 hours from there. Can i bring a bag of bolts, some chicken wire and a motor turn a bike out in a week at your shop?
and will girlnamedgo be there?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'm less than three hours from Knoxville.

My metric bolt assortment surely is lacking but regardless of what you bring.......

I've yet to see a "bike" be turned out of my shop in less than a month and the only time that happened there were many able and willing hands helping making it happen. That bike still required another 3-4 weeks of one off fabbed/machined/welded parts to make it street legal and is still here to this day running on it's third set of tires. Since it's first ride it has had about as much work done since "finished" than it required to "finish" it. But it's a much better bike than what it was since it's first magazine front cover and much later subsequent feature in Alan Maye's book.

Of course Go will be here, we are currently having the attorneys working up the paperwork to do the Utah/Mormon Nuptial Shuffle.

However, I'd say a light level make over or finishing out of a running bike that didn't require space shuttle launch re-engineering could possibly happen in a week.

There have been some pretty interesting partial projects wrapped up during several three day weekend build jams.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts