Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my petcock on the 750 tank is almost touching one of the heads. The fuel lines touch one of the heads right where they come from the cock. I'm afraid this will cause some over heating of the fuel, boiling, vapor locking, or melting my lines. can anyone help. if it doesn't touch am I ok. has anyone had this problem before when swaping tank.. I really don't want to cut and relocate if at all possible. I will get a pic on here quickly.

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
fuel lines and heads (hot...) are a BAD mix. fuel lines should never touch any part of the bike (due to abrasion through vibration). i found a 90 degree outlet version of a delorto unit through domiracer many moons ago. by stacking washers, virtually any direction (horizontal) can be generated which should help. if that doesn't work, change your hole before you toast your balls.
-parks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking. I just didn't know if I could get some kind of hard line or there was a smaller petcock that would work on a 750 tank. I guess I could cut that small cock off my 360 tank and weld it up on the 750 tank. the 750 cock is on the wrong side anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I once solved some weird routing issues by using the crossover outlets - they were frankly much better positioned to allow use of fuel filter, so I just used the petcock as a stop and installed two inline shutoffs I bought from a lawnmower store. But maybe I just took the easy way out.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I thought you might have a 75-76 tank with the thread on fuel tap. if so then:
I forget the thread size but pingle makes petcocks with the same thread size as the tank you have. Their petcocks are much smaller and you can get the outlets angled any way you want. the downside, expect to pay $100+ for a pingle. However, honda doesn't use weird thread sizes and you may be able to get a generic female gas valve in the proper metric size.

If you have the 69-74 tank that attaches with 2 screws, well then you may be SOL aside from changing the mount all together.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
geeto- I'm SOL I have the threaded one with a good cock, but it's on my 360 tank. my 750 is the stupid one with two bolts. but what I'm thinking is cut off the one from the 360 and drill, a hole and weld it to my 750. and the just weld a plate over the 750 petcock hole.. it would be a snap I think. then it would be on the right side and I don't have to buy anything, I have it all already!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
geeto- I'm SOL I have the threaded one with a good cock, but it's on my 360 tank. my 750 is the stupid one with two bolts. but what I'm thinking is cut off the one from the 360 and drill, a hole and weld it to my 750. and the just weld a plate over the 750 petcock hole.. it would be a snap I think. then it would be on the right side and I don't have to buy anything, I have it all already!

or you could put your 750 tank back up for sale (provided you haven't started banging it) and buy a 75-76 K tank, same exact shape but with a threaded bung (and a different one from the cb360 one you have).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah but I got a good deal on this one and It will only take me an hour or two to do it. and I can place it exactly where I want. the 750 is on the wrong side too... it's not big deal, but it would just be easier if I put it on the left side.. and no I might not bang it out after all..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey geeto can I get a piece of steel pipe from the hardware store and weld that up, if the threads are metric? then I wouldn't have to cut up a good tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts