Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am old and fat. Last year the racing school and later 101 track day exhausted me physically. Especially my arms and hands.

Any ideas for some routines to get into a little better shape before the race school?

While many racers are skinny like tex,rosko and others, I do see some guys with, ah, mature figures. What do some of you/them do to prepare?

Thanks!
Fat Jack

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
eat pizza, drink beer, go skateboard and usually break something right before the season starts.. early may.. typical situation for me.

matt

latered

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah, i'm mostly on the mattkins all carb program myself. otherwise, i fabbed up one of those oil barrel-woodstove kits and have been splitting wood to keep the garage warm enough to work on the bike. he who splits his own wood is warm twice... and a little less chunky come spring. seriously, since i broke my collarbone last summer i really chubbed out and will have to do a little more work to fit into the leathers in a couple months.

but if your arms and hands were sore i'd really try to relax the upper body altogether and try to make the legs burn next time.

best-
tt

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
i just smoke cigarettes and drink.

it's my own heroin chic.....legal too!

well, legal for now.....

can't somke in philly anymore, thus i drink outside the city.

god bless america.

tex

p.s.- i'm betting that this isn't the advice you were looking for?

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I do 40 minutes on the stationary bike a few times a week, lots of situps, pushups and some small time freeweight work on the upper body. The bike is the big thing....cardio baby.
Makes a difference, you have to be able to do 20 minutes of hard riding.
JohnnyB

PS (this message posted from my new laptop)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Jack,

There's a book titled: BODY FOR LIFE that you should be able to pick-up cheaply used off Amazon or even at a used bookstore. The author's name is Bill Phillips. It's a pretty common sense approach to diet and exercise. I've followed the program a couple times and dropped weight.

Jim

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
In the winter I ride a fixed gear MTB to and from work, about 5 miles total, 5 days a week. Low gearing gives me a comfortable 90 RPM. Good steady aerobic. Commute this way in all weather, rain, snow, ice whatever. I cross the bridge into (and out of) brooklyn twice a day. When it gets down into the teens the windchill on the bridge can get down to -20. Great fun. I figure all the ice and slipping around is good for the two wheel balance. Had not considered this exercise but I guess it is. It's just how I get to work. For fun after work and on the weekends if I can I'll hit the bowl for up to 6 hours at a time. I guess that'd be anaerobic exercise right? Short intense runs. Lots of practice falling. More good times.

I'm also a vegetarian, have been since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Maybe 20 years? I guess that may be worth something. But all I eat is ice cream and cookies anyway. Really.

I spent many, many years constantly inebriated. Done with that. Around the time I gave that up the smokin' went with it. So that'd be 4+ years ago.

So I guess I'm like a freaking monk. In 'ziggy stardust' leathers.

the short answer: buy a nice bicycle and ride to work.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Jan 23 2008 02:35:58 AM

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My goal? 10 lbs in ten weeks! Here's my simple rules for dropping weight. Eat less(Duh), smaller portions, single portions, Less carbs(breads & pastas) and less fats, more veggies, no snacking after dinner, no soda or beer or chips. Couple of oranges and apples for during the day and a decent meal for dinner. Get on the scale in every day.
200 to 190 by April 1st.

Pre-race training- Ride the pit bikes a couple times a week for upper body conditioning. It really works!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I'm with Rosko on the bike to work plan. Been commuting most every day year round. That and the yard work have covered me on the solo bikes. The sidecar requires more strength than I usually have so I've been trying to use a little cheesy weight bench in my basement. Not much success on that. I usually hover between 160-165lbs with the upper body of a 12 year old.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I've been using a treadmill that we got for free. 1/2 hour sessions 4 times a week. I started just walking on it for the first month, then started running. I'm up to 2 miles with a warm up and cool down lap.
It has made a huge difference in my stamina on the race bike. I've also got the weight bench out of storage and am starting slowly on that to build some upper body strength.
When the weather gets a little easier for me to deal with I'll be riding my Kona. As Rosko says, time spent on 2 wheels is good!
My goal is just better all around strength and stamina. If I happen to lose some weight as well, great, but I won't unless I change my consumption habits, which I doubt I'll do.
What I've realized is that I could go fast on a bike for a few laps, and then I'd get tired and slow down. The guys behind me that were in better condition had a better chance to pass.
I hate that.

FR

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Hey jack:

I just started the usual regimen. Stop eating so much and exercise at least a half hour a day. I almost started this same thread the other day too. What I can tell from a number of acquaintances of mine that the best way to get in shape is to either get divorced or realize that you need a new girlfriend. Works wonders.

But seriously, having been in the position before early on of not feeling up to snuff at the end of a race, you HAVE to improve your condition if you want to race. Not necessarily for yourself, but after fatigue sets in, you become a serious (even if you are the backmarker) danger to everyone else on the track, especially the leader if he is coming from behind. Think of it this way, too. 8 laps at 2 minutes a lap = 16 minutes. If you are in better condition, you might do 8 laps in 13 minutes. Cutting off a whole 3 minutes that you have to be exerting yourself and endangering others. Like the Nike ad says, JUST DO IT.

Evil at 205, losing 10 in 10 weeks.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
I dont do much of anything. I used to ride my mtb bike a lot. 11 miles to work one way. id do it in 45mins. Now i need the truck too often. I know aaron told me he was braggin to roper about ow much he had been working out to get better at racing. roper said something to the affect of 'why bother, you dont use any of those muscles racing'. lots of salad, not salad tossing....salads. i will try to do that from about the begining of march or so. ride the xr every chance i get. riding it fast and hard will definietly work your arms hard. my arms and hands are usually tired and sore after for a day or 2. i think really riding and seat time is the best conditioning for racing.

but then again theres matt mladin. he actually has some kind of program you can join that focus on fitness for motorcycle roadracing.

jc

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm old, puny and female so I HAVE to work out. Upper body excercises with free weights; pushups and situps and fast walking. Minimum of 3x a week starting NOW. Bicycling is the best but I'm too much of a weenie to do it in cold weather. Now if I just could get my bicycle to fit into the trainer I have for my old bike... I could cycle indoors.

It goes without saying; losing weight is better than any weight reduction tidbids you could glean from your bike. For the hefty ones; how do you go about taking 25 - 50 lb off of your bike?

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I took 85 lbs off my bike.

Personal weight reductions....AND..AND...AND reducing the weight of your ride is the goal.

Do things all the way....or not at all.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
jb took 85 lbs off his ride just by making mary ride it.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
345 Posts
-Snowboarding in the winter
-Tread Mill running 30min (3.5miles), abs, situps, light weight lift'n.
-Mtb'n some serious off roads up in westchester county! 10 miles of MTB'ing is like 20 on the road!
- Long boarding Central Park in the Spring & Summer after work. I work 2 blocks away from the park.

Eat healthy and try to break your eating into 6 small portions a day. I'm expecting to be at least 180lb by April. I'm 192lb.

Or take the easy way and just drink coffee & smoke cig's and you have the right diet for really easy weight lost.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:
don't let alex fool ya, his workouts consist soley of Tae-Bo.
Yeah, but nothing will help sotoman shed the incredible weight his big head brings to the grid. You know, he podiums once and he is Valentino....... I know soto, it is one more time than i have...blah blah blah.

Yeller'
---
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs”

1 - 20 of 25 Posts