1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
sometimes, i really miss my 70 gt fastback.

the red rs with the redlines is pretty sweet looking.

jc

·
Registered
194 Posts
shiny paint on old cars sucks..... but then again, most of these cars aren't even old.

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
jb,

you have no soul. there is no greater joy than pulling off the cover on my 1977 camaro, seeing the paint shine, turning the key to hear the four barrells come alive, and going for a ride.

i completely disagree......to each their own!

-shiny car tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
sometimes, i really miss my 70 gt fastback.

the red rs with the redlines is pretty sweet looking.

jc
A friend of mine and I peeled the front end of a 68 torino fastback back to the firewall hitting a moose on the way out west. We were unhurt but that poor little torino never stood a chance...neither did the moose (we hit that sucker at a soild 45mph no brakes). Now when ever I see a torino I faintyl smell shit, burnt fur and coolant. Too bad cause I liked those cars before.

Car shows suck, there are no young people hanging out at them anymore with cool cars...mostly old fogies have the cool muscle cars. My neighbor paid $25,000 for a 1970 blazer CST, and all I could think about was how we used to buy those trucks for $500 in highschool, beat the piss out of them, and leave them for dead when we rolled them. Some of them were nicer than his restored truck (and his truck is nice). A buddy of mine and I once put together a junkyard 1971 malibu for less than $1000 as a low budget gutted street racer in 1993. We abandoned that car (we never registered it) on the streets in whitestone when a ball joint came loose on the a-arm and she slid into a couple of parking meters. Now a '71 malibu body in worse shape than what we had goes for $5000. I hate the car hobby.

It was always cooler to see those cars in their element, like crusing francis lewis blvd or racing in hunts point. God I miss the Late 80's and Early 90's.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm 23, I consider myself young. I got lucky though I bought my car 5 years ago before the muscle car boom. Luckly the musclecar boom is starting to fade. I know alot of young guys into cars. I've seen a couple, most of them are like me though, their cars are far from perfect so they don't bring them out, the difference I still bring mine out and I never hear anything bad about my car. Most people think if you take a car that isn't perfect people will make fun of you which is sad but it is quiet the oppisite once you get out there. Look around at the rat rod and rock-a-billy shows, lot of young people into old cars too

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i ws a kid when i bought my fast back. i paid 350 bucks for it. it was a georgia car. no rust. none. the guy drove it to baltimore with a glass [ack welded to one header, and the other open. with no front brakes installed. it had a 390 with a shift kit and posi rear.

i loved that car. it was white with 351 rocker panels.

too cool.

jc

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I hate, hate, hate the fact that musclecars have become "investments". I hate the fact that most of the nicest examples are in the hands of old men that drive them like old women. I hate the fact that for the most part the import kids are the real hot rodders today.

My brother had a really straight Texas 69 Chevelle shell. I always thought I'd do something with it someday. He sold it about three years ago. About a year ago I see it at a show and it's sweet. I'm walking around it thinking how lame I am for neglecting mine when I know how far that car's come in two years. The next week I ask my bro if he's seen it and comment on how fast it got built. He says the way it got done so fast, so nice was that the guy he sold it to refinanced his house and everything he had for the cash to build that car. Now when I see the car I don't see a 69 Chevelle I see a guy with really fucked up credit and a stupid car. I hate the car hobby, too.

04 KDX 200
01 GSXR 750
87 FZ 600 basket case
75 GT 550
68 Chevelle- trade for front motor digger

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
My neighbor died 29 May, and his wife sold his Harleys last weekend to a tool in Khakis & boat shoes. The deceased still had the long hair & beard he had when he graduated from high school in 1970. He bought his '61 Duo-Glide in the mid '70s & rode around with a crowd of twenty-somethings, he having by far the newest bike. It was still like new when he died (a couple years ago he & I rode out to see the H-D traveling museum & the guys in charge asked him to park it in front so they could get a picture). I was on my way out , but told the buyer before I left, "Don't let them sit. Ride 'em." Two days later I found out he planned to drain the fluids & display them in his rec room. He didn't even start them up before he loaded them into his $50,000 truck.
I doubt when he sells either bike it'll be for less than twice what he paid, at which price you can be sure neither of them will ever see the road again. My neighbor/friend is rolling over in his grave.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:
My neighbor died 29 May, and his wife sold his Harleys last weekend to a tool in Khakis & boat shoes. The deceased still had the long hair & beard he had when he graduated from high school in 1970. He bought his '61 Duo-Glide in the mid '70s & rode around with a crowd of twenty-somethings, he having by far the newest bike. It was still like new when he died (a couple years ago he & I rode out to see the H-D traveling museum & the guys in charge asked him to park it in front so they could get a picture). I was on my way out , but told the buyer before I left, "Don't let them sit. Ride 'em." Two days later I found out he planned to drain the fluids & display them in his rec room. He didn't even start them up before he loaded them into his $50,000 truck.
I doubt when he sells either bike it'll be for less than twice what he paid, at which price you can be sure neither of them will ever see the road again. My neighbor/friend is rolling over in his grave.
My dad was the same exact way, right to the T. His last bike was a 76 FLX that he bought as a basket case in a chicken coupe at Nicks (its a big HD shop in Williamstown NJ, if your ever in the area look it up, they have a huge collection of bikes, I pretty much grew up there, if Nick can fix it or help you find something then dooms day is around the corner) Anyways me and my brother helped my dad put the bike together over a 2 year period and I was about 7 at the time and its what got me into cars and motorcycles. My dad pasted away 2 years ago and we were going to auction the bike off to pay for his funeral and my aunts husband came over and hes a real big tool and he was talking about how nice the bike was, we knew he was going to win just for the fact he didn't like him. So my brother decided to buy the bike from my mom and keep it in the family because we all worked on it and helped my dad build it. I'll try to get a picture for everyone to see it.

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Why "old" guys have the muscle cars.....

Cause we bought them graduation day from high school and still have them. We already did our racing and our proving 30 years ago.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:
Why "old" guys have the muscle cars.....

Cause we bought them graduation day from high school and still have them. We already did our racing and our proving 30 years ago.
JohnnyB
Now that's super cool to me. That car is a part of your personal history and you don't have to justify whatever you do with it. It makes me happy to see someone that has hung onto their high school car. One of my brothers graduated in 77. He had a 70 1/2 Z28, sold it shortly after graduation. Some of his friends kept their cars, a couple Chevelles, a Roadrunner, a Mustang. He's still pissed about selling that car.

04 KDX 200
01 GSXR 750
87 FZ 600 basket case
75 GT 550
68 Chevelle- trade for front motor digger

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I graduated in 76...and the 70 1/2 Z-28 was still a legend back then...huge money these days for one of those. I think the fastest relatively stock car I ever rode in was a 1970 Boss 302 with I think 5:13 gears in it....amazingly fast to about 120.

Here's another pic from back in the day. Myself, a friend and a Rally Sport Camaro with an LT-1. Circa 1978.
JohnnyB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts