Cafe Racer Forum banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Certainly ss can be welded without back-purging, but it will inherently be weaker, and more prone to failure. Those pros who do it on a production scale probably have near perfect technique and parameters. I'm just a shade-tree guy who's still learning, and need all the help I can get. Having the assurance of clean, full penetration welds without brittle oxidation (sugaring) gives me peace of mind, especially if someone is paying me for the job.
;) you need a periscope video camera to watch from the inside when you do the weld.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Not for me... look away from the puddle at the screen and guess where the tungsten is going to end up. Then it's another walk of shame over to the grinder.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
pretty sure the automotive shit would be wire feed robotic
Mostly wire feed yes, though the amount of hand welding might surprise you. Robots don't do all that well with some of the situations found in welding together exhaust systems. And the repair welds from where the robots fail is all hand done. :)

On a more serious note, most of what I deal with are prototypes which are typically 100% hand done. The only time I remember anyone purging anything was when we built a titanium system for a Jeep.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Not for me... look away from the puddle at the screen and guess where the tungsten is going to end up. Then it's another walk of shame over to the grinder.
It's either a 2 person job, and or you record the process and use the recording to document your qc :|

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
On a more serious note, most of what I deal with are prototypes which are typically 100% hand done. The only time I remember anyone purging anything was when we built a titanium system for a Jeep.
If you have pics of these non purged welds inside and out, I'd love to see them.

Maybe it'll give me something else to strive for.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts