Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been posting on here for a bit now and decide to get off my lazy ass and snap some current pics. I picked up this beast for 400 bucks this past Febuary on CL. All I did was put up a WTB for a cheap running bike with a clean title. Hell the guy even drove it to my house...in Febuary...in northern Wisconsin if that says something. He gave it a tune up..clean and sync'd carbs, new plugs yada yada. He's like I just don't want this thing to bite me in the ass. I started ripping shit off before I even rode the thing...bars, stock exhaust...well that basically removed itself. lol. Ordered up some new front and rear EBC kevlar pads, Cough*clubmans*Cough, NOS stacks for a CB350 from some dude in Norway on ebay, the CB650 wheels just recently, MAC 2-1 megaphone exhaust and a 7" H4 foglight I had leftover in the garage. The seat is a project gone wrong but it's the only seat I have cause Joe from Cosmo ripped me off on a seat. The seat is actually the stock pan and the half of the rear fender welded together and covered in a spandex material with a mouse pad for cushion. Hahahaha. The brake and rear turns are something I found at a truck stop on a small trip to the St Paul last month. The seat is higher then I wanted but it's actually not that uncomfortable.
Here is how she sits now as I just took these this morning.

this was how she was when I got her minus the clubmans and exhaust. Shitty picture yes...but it was like 10 degrees out.

Surprisingly with the addition of the stacks and the exhaust it runs fine with no hiccups and still gives me 50 mpg while raping it everyday to work. [8D] Ugly...yes...fast...ehhh...fun...well it puts a smile on my face you have to chisel off with a jackhammer and that's all that matters. Oh I have a new tank also but it needs a gas cap lid latch and I can ditch this kinda chopper looking tank. This winter it's getting stripped down to have the frame stripped and left bare with just a clear coat and flat white seat and tank and all the aluminium wire brused.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
What kind of tank do you have for it? I might have the spare latch you seek.

(nothing wrong with clubmans)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CB360 but year I'm not exactly sure. I put up a WTB for it in the wanted section but no dice. I really want to put my new tank on. I'm taking a TIG class at the local tech college cause even though I've got a TIG welder...I can't use it. I just really wanted one and my fluxcore was lonely in the garage. Hahahaha. Then I'll build my own clip ons and try out some new exhaust ideas. Don't get me wrong, I've done alot with my fluxcore but damn it's messy and a bitch to clean up afterwards.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I do have the gas cap latch you seek. It is missing the screw & threaded part to mount it to the tank, but that's easy enough to work out. It was mounted to my tank with a cotter pin for years, and I never had any complaints.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's fine. I just need the latch. I can do the rest as I still have the pin. How much do you want for this fine piece of cast aluminium?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Offer me $$$, and it's yours. Whatever you think is fair.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of putting together another engine for this over the winter also. Picking up a CM450 engine. It's only a little bigger but it's also has a six speed box also that I really want. I see them on ebay and they go for fairly cheap also so it won't be a pricey upgrade and should bolt right in with no hassles. I was originally gonna pick up a set of Mikuni VM round slides for the 400 but needed some other things when I had my tax money so that's on my build list for the 450 engine.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I've done alittle more to it in the past month or so. New seat and a new tank...well new to me that is. I bought another tank at a swap meet for just the lid latch and in the process of getting that off, that one broke also! WTF, what luck. Know I can see why these things break so easily. So back to my usual broke ass injen ways, I look around the garage and find a bunch of leftover thingies from rivets. It works and I've got a boatload of them on the ground so I'm set if the one on my tank break. lol. So I was originally gonna paint it flat white but after seeing another bike in the project section painted white I decided to go with something different. Overall I'm pretty happy with the color but I got a big scratch across the top of the tank from laying it against something as the paint wasn't completely hardened after setting for a day. Well new tires will be here tomorrow and figuring out my rearsets and this bike will be done. I've got my XS400 I'm gonna start tearing that down and putting all my funds into that. Maybe pick up a set of clip ons and a sealed battery to mount out of view so I can clean up that area. Well I'll quit my blabbering and post some snaps.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seat mount? It's actually pretty beefy. Here's the base it sits on. 1/8" aluminium with another 3" wide strip that runs underneath it.

bottom of seat. It doesn't flex or move around at all. I had to take off a strip of velcro cause I almost couldn't get it off with the three strips. Now it just has two and it holds it great. It's industrial strengh velcro and holds like a mofo.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
the seat to tank mount needs work.

the gap and the angle the seat rests, down, towards the back.

my thoughts,

tex

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it's kinda of a eyesore but it's a working project as I ride it everyday to work. The angle of the seat changed after I put the new tank on. I just need to add some more washers to even out the seat with the tank. I had to bust out the cutoff wheel to get the tank to fit. But she went on and is snug as a bug in a rug. By the time I get home at night, I eat supper, give my one year old a bath, and relax. Bike time usually comes on the weekend unless it's something that desperately needs attention. The seat can wait till this weekend.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm helping a friend with a similar (perhaps even the same) frame--CM400. We made a jig, then chopped most of the back half of the bike off. Then sleeved some DOM tube to get the lines we wanted. It wasn't too bad and only took an evening's work. Actually, the jig took an evening to build as well. The nice thing about doing it this way is the bike doesn't have those crazy, swooping lines...that and the seat sits flat.

No prescribed aesthetics; just a story.

--Chris

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Feel like making me a new rear section? The shock mounts are a complete eyesore to look at after hacking off the rear section so it wouldn't hang past the first seat I made.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts