Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need some direction finding a piston kit for CB360T. I'm having the cylinders honed (now bored) and they are unevenly worn. The Honda shop near me is useless for anything earlier than 2004. My manual says the cylinder wear limits are 2.642 in or 67.1mm, it also says overbore kits are available for .25, .50, .75 and 1mm. Thanks

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
your honda shop should still be able to order them. its not rocket science. ebay is a pretty good place to find them. rings too. and they'll be way cheaper. if you want to go through a dealer, i use sloans honda in tenn. they are still avail.

jc

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You can check the Wiseco piston catalog, it should show you all the overbore sizes available from them. You may also try Powroll. Honda has oem overbores as well, but I'd compare prices. Also, if you're going to any oversize piston, the machine shop should have the pistons so that they can match the bore according to the piston manufacturer specs.

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yes, franks right, have the pistons before you bore. and give them to the shop doing it.

jc

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use a local go kart racing shop. it has nothing to do with year, boring a cylinder is the same on everything.. I buy overbore pistons and take the whole thing in and say "make 'em fit"

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll go to a further Honda shop and check, Wiseco dosen't have them anymore and my machine shop told me pistons first also.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents about boring. In my opinion, one of the single most important aspects of building an engine that will last. It has to be done absolutely right, absolutely round, and absolutely square with the cylinderbase (or crank if possible).

Don't give it to any piece of crap shop that does boring. In most cases you'll have to send it to a speciality boring shop to get it done right. I've seen tons of cylinders come from "good" shops that are no where close to right. Most of the racers on this site have their favorite boring shops, mine is Langcourt Cylinder Technologies, there are other good places in the N.E., Bore-Tec, etc. These places to it RIGHT. I've got one race engine that's been running now for four years, last time I had the head off it still looked brand new inside. Micro-crosshatch still on the cylinder walls. I specify .0025" at the piston skirt, perpendicular to the wrist pin...the cylinders come back exactly that to within as far as my mic's will read. Langcourt sends them back bead blasted and serial numbered. All for not much more than a local shop, with about a 2 week turnaround. I expect you'd get the same result from Bore-Tec and other places that specialize in race boring. Don't let the "race" scare you off....the work they do will enhance the longevity and performance of a street engine as well (just tighten up the clearances a tad).
Yes sending the pistons is a must do, a good shop will even send them back marked as to which hole you should install them in. The pistons I have made are typically exactly the same....I mean exactly. So in my case it's not a big deal, but with OEM pistons it's better to put them in the hole they are bored for.

Really...quality boring does make a big difference. Spend the extra $30 or so and send them somewhere where boring/coating is all they do.

Ok, I'm done..this is getting boring..hehe.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah the last cylinder I had done by a local automotive shop came back 2.904 in one hole and 2.905 in the other.

Oops. Luckily I noticed it and honed the tight one, but I shouldn't have had to.

Next time I'm taking them to a motorcycle-specific shop.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Most of the ones I see screwed up the worst come from places like a dealer, the dealer of course does not do the boring, he sends it out to the local NAPA.
NAPA would do fine on a auto engine, but the problem is their equipment is not properly setup to do small bore properly. Nor is it setup with the jigs to hold the cylinders square etc.

Only issue I've had with getting my cylinders bored at a proper boring shop is that I have to tell them to bore it with a single point tool. My liners are pressed in, and if the cylinder is bored with a three point boring tool it will sometimes spin the liner in the cylinder block...which they may not notice, but it can make the cylinders useless. Usually not an issue with OEM cylinders, but I install different liners in the blocks before I send them, not quite as tight typically as OEM liners.
JohnnyB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts