Cafe Racer Forum banner

Playing with a full deck...

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  UngaWunga 
A lot of old bikes have wind issues but cb750s have notorously bad coefficients of drag. The bike has the hp to pull past the 120 mark in more aerodynamic package but even with a really light rider you can't seem to pull past that because the wind is just holding you back. I am a big guy and with me riding it is like the bike is two up. I can get to 100mph no problem but every mph after that is an uphill battle and the clutch usually gives up first. If i tuck down and put my nose between the gauges I usually get about 110-115mph indicated.

A properly tuned, kitted (836) cb750 making 70-80 hp with a cr fairing (or even better a green meanie kawasaki fairing) should see 135mph -140.

I've seen fairing cb750 dragbikes do 120 in the 1/4 but that is not a lot of room.

something to keep in mind you want a fairing that will blend with the rider. Old bikes have probems with this where there is a gap or the rider sticks out past the fairing. Ideally you want as small a gap as possible between the screen and the helmet, and even a smaller gap between the riders legs and the fairings.

I used to know this drag racer with an gs1100 in a laydown who used to tape himself into the bike with duct tape during tuning sessions. Said it was worth 1-2mph on top end and had the data to prove it. he would tape the helmet to the widscreen and his right leg to the fairing and use the left to inch the bike along. closed up any gap he could.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Apr 08 2007 4:19:09 PM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.