Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I took it out for the first test ride. I zipped up and down a parking lot beside my house and everything was running good. So I decided to give 'er and go for a real ride. After 2 mins, the left side back fired a couple times and died when pulling away from a stop. Here is everything I've done to try and get it going.

I'm still new at this motorcycle repair thing so please let me know what I missed.

Checked plug gap - adjusted to spec.
Plug also looked dark/sooty, which I thought was indicative of a rich mixture or incorrect timing.
Checked spark condition - There's spark, but i don't know if it's a "good spark". Spark is a spark to me...
Replaced points and adjusted timing (timing was off)
Replaced condenser (I don't even know what that does)
Did the cam chain tensioner adjust procedure.
Checked compression - 165 (cold)
Checked valve clearances and adjusted to spec (0.004 exhaust/0.002 intake)

Removed carburator:
Checked float height - off by 5mm!! - adjusted to spec (I was sure this was the problem)
Verified jet sizes and cleanliness of everything. Everything was really clean to begin with. Which surprised since it sat for a while
replaced gaskets on jets and bowl

Re-assembled, and started, but left side still wouldn't run.

Checked the fuel lines. The carb's getting gas. Verified by opening drain screw and watched gas come out.

Got it running on just on the right side, and took the air filter off the Left Carb to look in side. The needle isn't sticking, and gas is getting into the chamber
Tried swapping spark plugs even, but didn't make difference.
Also checked for air leaks using the WD40 trick - Nadda

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Scott.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You have certainly covered all the basics - try putting in a new plug or swap the plugs around (if you don't have one on hand) From everything you covered - it should be running. BTW did the left plug look wet - what would also indicate if gas is getting to the left side. If the plug test doesn't cure the problem, then it has to be something with ignition. Make sure all the connections to the coils under the tank are connected (good-and-tight).

This is a weird one - keep us posted...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried swapping the plugs and got the same result.

The plug in the bad side did look wet, not dripping or nothing, but wet, and smelled like gas...

It is weird. My train of thought on this has gone from "it has to be ignition" to "it has to be fuel delivery" back to "maybe it IS ignition/Electrics".

Also, i adjusted the timing as described in the Clymer book, with out a fancy timing light. Just a bulb hooked up to the points lead and ground. Maybe not the most accurate way, but from what I've read on here, acceptable.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
From everything said here - it's looking more and more like a timing issue. If the plug is wet then your getting fuel. The only logical thing left is timing. You can buy a timing light for 30 bucks, I'd recommend you beg, borrow or steal one and recheck the timing. One last idea is to swap the coils, not knowing 350's that well, you should be able to swap the wires going TO the coil from the ignition and swap the coil wire going TO the plugs and see if you can get the right side to fail.

You have one good thing going for you - the problem is consistent which should make it easier to track down. You have an ignition/electrical problem...either timing or coil problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by krapfever

Run a small file through the point contacts on both breakers. You'd be surprised what trouble a little schmeck on those contact surfaces can cause.
They're brand new points.

My buddy has a proper timing light. I'll get it dialed in with that and see what happens, then try swapping the coils as bmartin suggests.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Couldn't hurt to run a file through them anyway.

I've also found that new aftermarket points aren't always set up right. Are both breakers fully opening and closing as you turn the motor over? If they are not fully closing no matter what you do, you may have to file down the bakelite follower that rides on the cam.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
That will teach ya not to keep a six-pack on ice and invite your buddy over with the right tools...

Points are nothing more than switches - any chance of adjusting them???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success!!

Went back to look at the timing and discovered that the left point gap was WAY off.

Lesson Learned: double check your work after you tighten all the adjustment screws.

So, now it's running. Still rich on that side, but running.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts