Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
I'd like to put pod filters on my cb360T. Does anyone have any recommendations? Links?

Thanks
yeah, don't do it. stick with the air box. often, pods are a performance downgrade for a road runner.

run a search here on pods and air boxes.

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm interested in this topic too.

Catboy, you say performance downgrade. What is the best was to get more air? Velocity stacks?

Do the K&N pods allow the most airflow of the pod filters?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
a K&N in the original airbox is the way to go. if you take apart the airbox, you can see what essentially amount to velocity stacks inside the box.

are you planning on racing it or just kicking it around town?

if you want rock solid reliablity and factory designed outpu, stick with the box. it ain't as sexy as stacks or pods, but what's more important: a solid, reliable, TUNABLE runner, or a track bike impersonation that requires jetting and tuning issues.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
quote:
a K&N in the original airbox is the way to go. if you take apart the airbox, you can see what essentially amount to velocity stacks inside the box.

are you planning on racing it or just kicking it around town?

if you want rock solid reliablity and factory designed outpu, stick with the box. it ain't as sexy as stacks or pods, but what's more important: a solid, reliable, TUNABLE runner, or a track bike impersonation that requires jetting and tuning issues.

And then some of us actually like those jetting and tuning issues. I like experimenting with different air cleaners, carb settings, valve clearances, exhaust configurations, ignition timing, etc. I may not have the skill to make it work every time, but it's a real kick when it does work. Nothing like finding the combination that wakes up the motor and gets more out of it than the factory ever did.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Having done this to several vintage jap bikes, I'm not convinced. With notable exceptions (early 70s CB750 comes to mind), it generally improves performance if it has any appreciable effect at all.

In part, this is due to the fact that old Honda jetting erred on the side of rich - as you'd expect, given the fact that rich jetted bikes start more easily and fouled plugs are a minor annoyance compared with holed pistons. So in a couple cases I've found it actually solved, rather than created, issues.

Besides, in an environment where it's not unusual to fabricate tanks, build wheels, re-engineer suspension, etc., rejetting some carbs isn't exactly a lot to ask. It's a bit like saying: "Running is a sport best avoided." "Why?" "You'll need new shoes."

A

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think I want more air? My thought is that the engine needs air to fire and that i live at altitude where the air is thin. More air + More fuel= more power? I have no idea if it is that simple but is seems like it.

I took the airbox off becasue I assumed it was restricting air flow just like the MX bikes i have owned. I have cut up the airbixes on my MX's and it makes a noticable difference.

·
Registered
687 Posts
xander and i are on the same page with this. despite what many people had warned when i put unipods on my cl350 i noticed a clear improvement in performance and found that i was still needed to run smaller than stock jets.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's 2 cents.

I'm going to try the pods for a firsthand taste of the pros and cons. Does anyone know what size these cb360t carbs are (I've measured both 50 and 52mm and don't have calipers for an accurate reading).

Also, can anyone recommend brands?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Just so you know - pods and CV carbs really don't mix. IIRC the cb360 has cv carbs.

You can make pods work somewhat smoothly on a mechanical carb setup but on a bike where the throttle is largely determined by pressure and airflow I would stay away from anything that disrupts that. If anything velocity stacks with foam and screens would be better. After all that is what honda used on their endurance racing bikes that used CV carbs.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Here are just a couple things to keep in mind.

Even the offset pods do not fit on the carbs. The battery box is in the way. You will cuss and moan, but they will not fit. The only way, as suggested to me by someone here, is to cut the rubber carb to airbox pieces off the airbox, and use them as a link from the carbs to the pods. I didn't do this as I didn't want to pass a point of no return with the original aircleaners, which were junk anyway.

Original aircleaners are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to find, at least for my bike with the 1/2 circle connector piece between the two filters. I see on ebay all the time filters listed for the '75 CB360T and they just aren't right. If you find a source for the correct filters, please let me know.

Since my old filters were plugged up, and the bike wouldn't run for shit with them on, I now use it without any filters at all. Runs Great, but I NEED to do something to filter the air.

Just my experience.

Jack

·
Registered
687 Posts
like i said, all the people you look up to and respect are going to tell you they don't work but if you do it you are very well may find just the opposite. pods work very well on my cl350, like i said, noticeably better than stock air boxes. if you spend an hour and do an image search you will see more hondas with pods than you can shake a stick at and not all of them are noobs trying to fill their misconceptions of what a cafe should look like.

jackc is probably right that the battery box will be in the way but that just sounds like another good reason to move to a smaller SLA or an AGM tucked under the seat.

if your sharp you can find a set of uni's for $25 which isn't much to have to eat if it doesn't work

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
278 Posts
My experience has been:

A CB450s w/ stock carbs, a CB450 w/ mikunis, a CB500T, a KZ400, a CB200, and snorkelfork's CL350. All except the 450 with mikunis have CV carbs, and I installed pods on all of them (except for snorkel's, but I was there for the tuning). The only one that gave me any trouble was the 200, and an afternoon of fiddling took care of it. I didn't have to swap jets on any of them, but I do recall having to play with needle height on one or two.

Throttle remained as responsive as ever. I have no doubt you've got good evidence Geeto, but I've yet to see a small twin suffer from the mod.

A

1 - 14 of 14 Posts