Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another dumb question but I'd rather ask and look like an idiot before I screw something up on my bike.

I read about using ultra fine steel wool to polish metals. I went an bought a bag of the stuff for $3. Am I supposed to use it dry or should I buy some polishing compound to go with it? From what I've read, most people only talk about one or the other.

Thanks for the info in advance.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I usually use the 'red' and 'white' turtle wax polishing compounds - comes out quite nice.
If you just want a natural cast look, use scotchbrite and WD40 (I shit you not, it works extremely well). Here's a photo of my cleaned up R80 motor using that method:

-Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
I usually use the 'red' and 'white' turtle wax polishing compounds - comes out quite nice.
If you just want a natural cast look, use scotchbrite and WD40 (I shit you not, it works extremely well). Here's a photo of my cleaned up R80 motor using that method:

-Steve

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You can use steel wool dry or with metal polish. The ultra fine, "00" grade is so mild that the polish may do more of the work. I guess it depends on what you're using it on, and what kind of finish you expect.
Experiment. You probably won't do any harm...

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You can use steel wool dry or with metal polish. The ultra fine, "00" grade is so mild that the polish may do more of the work. I guess it depends on what you're using it on, and what kind of finish you expect.
Experiment. You probably won't do any harm...

FR

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as I'm not going to hurt anything, I don't mind experimenting. I was afraid that I was going to do more damage than good. I think I"ll go get some polish of some kind and give it a whirl.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As long as I'm not going to hurt anything, I don't mind experimenting. I was afraid that I was going to do more damage than good. I think I"ll go get some polish of some kind and give it a whirl.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I somehow stumbled across a damn good website: it told all the detailsof smalltuningand fixups! For polishing it recomended spraying WD-40 on the rusted area and scrubbing with steel wool. The detailed images proved correct and I planondoing the same with the rims onmy 74' CB 360! Cool

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I should have been more specific in my first post. For chrome and other finished metal, like case covers etc. I would use metal polish and fine steel wool. For aluminum or other unfinished metals like some engine cases, heads, trannys, I use kerosene and a soft wire brush, and if the metal is smooth enough, mid grade steel wool. Some cases are painted, and unless you intend to strip the paint, there's not much you can do to improve the finish.

FR

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The steel wool seems to work halfway decently by itself. I tried it in a couple of spots on the bike I'm trying to sell. I plan on taking some before/after shots when I use it on the crash bar that I plan on selling when I get around to it. It probably won't be till this weekend at least though.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
neverdull works very well. also those Mother's power ball with the polish will work better then most anything else i've tried.

'72 cb750
'76 cb550

·
Registered
687 Posts
while on the topic of polishing, does anyone know how to obtain the satin finish all the alloy on the vintage hondas had? i'd like to return to that rather than make it look like chrome.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try glass beading it with a sandblaster.

That said, I thought most hondas were painted and clearcoated (hence all that crappy spiderweb/yellow finish they have now).

-Steve

·
Registered
687 Posts
the hubs, side covers and fork lowers on my 70'cl were definitely not painted. they have a shitty clear coat that has yellowed.

...connoisseur of slack...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts