Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
69 CB350

Havin problems with my tranny. Cruising in 5'th gear the she's wanting to pop out of gear. Doesn't really matter what rpm or if I'm pulling or letting off. I've tried pulling in the clutch to see if I over or undershifted, but nothing seems to help. Sometimes I can run a mile with it in gear without it popping out, other times it happens right away.

It only happens in fifth gear and no other gears seem to be affected. Drained the oil to look for shavings but there didn't seem to be any.

Consulted the manual and it says the dog ears may be worn a little. Anyone have a similar problem.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
MY racebike has done it occasionally in 2nd except it jumps out and then back in again. I haven't done anything about it yet since it hasn't gotten worse and I don't feel like splitting the cases yet. I have a spare engine or two if you want to try a different 5th gear. I haven't split the cases on one of them yet, but I can at any time and since I will need some second gear parts, you can have 5th if you want it. Call me on my cell 608-770-6922. I'm in Colfax, by Lake Tainter.

Ken

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup thats it. It'll slip out and I'll hear her rev and then bam she locks back in with a lurch. I thought maybe I was loosing teath on 5th gear or something.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I had similar problems but it ended up being the shift forks were worn pretty bad. The gears themselves were fine in my case. If you're going to split the cases make sure you check the shift forks at the same time.

Craig

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Craig is right. I figure on replacing both gears and the shift fork. You can have the 5th gear set if you want them when I take a spare trans apart.
Ken

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had a similar thing happen on my 360 race bike and it turned out to be the shifter drum. It has a cam track machined into the circumference and the 5th gear position was a rather sharp curve. It got warn a bit and then actually started to break down like it was case hardened and the abuse from racing cracked the surface hardeneing and the cam surface wore pretty quickly. I don't know if the 350 has a similar contour to the shifter drum but it is something to check on when you take it apart.

Mike O.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good, I think I'll just get a whole trans off of ebay or something and just figure out what is good and what needs to go. Never know what yer gonna find in there. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts