Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New to the forum. About a year ago I picked up a 2000 Triumph Adventurer with 3,000 miles. I'm trying to "level/flatten" the bikes lines but there's not a ton of builds or aftermarket parts for an Adventurer. I do not think there's much I can do as I'm not a welder or bike builder so I'm looking for recommendations of people in the Portland, OR area that has experience building cafe racers and could help me out. The adventurer has that "cruiser" look and I have to get rid of it, I just do not like it at all. Anyone got some recommendations on contacts out here or suggestions on parts to bring the bike up beyond stock performance? I marked up a photo I took when I had the seat off to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Is getting a larger rear tire something I should do to start leveling the bike out?

Thanks

IMG_3481.jpg

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
What I get from your garbled post is that you bought a bike you don't like. Sell it and buy one you do want or at least something that can do what you think you want to do.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Wasn't Ichiban in Portland?
LOL. He was in the Chicagoland area...... but he had a lot to say about Portland.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well shit, I thought this was a forum where you could get help on builds. Isn't that how all people turn their bikes from craigslist junk to awesome cafe racers? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You can get help building up bikes here, if you want to improve the bike. Lighten it, make it handle better, faster while maintaining it's road worthiness. Or mechanical issues, equipment, just about anything. There is however virtually no support for chopping them up to make art projects. It sounds like you have a saleable bike that can get you where you want to go.

Steveo, one of the talented Brits that checks in once in a while, built a beautiful '70's style Ducati 900ss Imola replica from a turn of the century 900ss. Look it up, it's a wow. I would love to copy Steveo's copy. A few weeks ago I bought a cheap Monster and after started thinking about Steveo's bike, could I make an Imola from the Monster? The short answer is no, the frame design is wrong. I could take it too the young talents at our local fab shop and they could redesign/rebuild my frame, "flatten it out" but that would suck up the $1000 I had earmarked for the hand built tank I need. So I'll save $1000 buy selling the monster and buying an SS

What you are starting with is always the most important factor. The closer the starting point the cheaper it is to get to the finish.

Get that bike running and polished up and sell it. Find something mechanically sound, that has parts supply and with a frame suited to what you would like the bike to be.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Well shit, I thought this was a forum where you could get help on builds. Isn't that how all people turn their bikes from craigslist junk to awesome cafe racers? Thanks for the replies.
Dude - you snagged a 20 year old bike with only 3K miles on it that looks in REALLY GOOD condition and you want to cut shit out of it and fuck it up?

That's what people on this board cringe over.

You want a cafe racer?

You can't weld and you're not a bike builder?

Buy a Thruxton.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude - you snagged a 20 year old bike with only 3K miles on it that looks in REALLY GOOD condition and you want to cut shit out of it and fuck it up?

That's what people on this board cringe over.

You want a cafe racer?

You can't weld and you're not a bike builder?

Buy a Thruxton.
Yeah I got lucky and these bikes have great motors. I mean this is "CafeRacer.net so I was hoping people have done mods like this. I don't want to "fuck" the bike up. I simply wanted to customize it and because I don't weld, I was looking for recommendations of shops people may have used before that do welding work like this. I got the bike for $1,450 so, going to buy a thruxton is a bit of a stretch. I simply found a great Triumph and want to modify it. I need custom sub-frame work. I learned my lesson not to post questions like this again on the forum. I didn't know there is so much bashing among bikers on here.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
A goldwing has a great engine too. You would be better to flip it if you got a good deal and buy something else. I see a Ducati 750ss for sale near you, They are a great bike that could use a new face, already flat and a narrow v twin.

If you really feel the compulsion to spend money on the Triumph there is a guy in Portland, Moto Mucci that, hopefully will tell you the same thing but more likely will just take your money. I've only seen photos, not big on his designs but it's quality work.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ok, so you want to raise the seat for a bone line that makes it look more like a "cafe racer."
So, you'll have to hack off the old subframe, and fab a new one.
Since you can't weld, what do you want us to tell you???

There is an appreciation of form-follows-function around here. Raising a seat for a look is not a popular move. Your idea of cafe racer isn't the universal idea what makes a motorcycle good and desirable.

My suggestion, don't try to get a forum you're new to conform to your wishes and ideas. Instead, be open and listen to what is being offered or...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Googling Adventurer solo seat, the closest I could get is this post...

cafetbird
Premium Member

Joined Jun 18, 2003

3,437 Posts

#2 Aug 29, 2005

Just move the lock backwards 1 1/2 inches:

1. Remove the rivets holding latch to solo seat.

2. Fabricate a aluminum or steel plate - about 2" wide by 2 1/2" long

3. Drill holes for bracket in plate

4. Rivet bracket or bolt to plate

5. Rivet or bolt to seat base. Mine took a couple of tries to get it right!

Here is a pic of what it will look like.

Good luck!

Scot

Link here
Solo seat - I don't get it!!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Here's another post
from Seat catch positions for solo seat

Sport Seat

I can supply a solo seat complete with seat latch and cable, your rear sub frame is already tapped and drilled to take the seat catch.
The fender eiliminator will work with the standard seat but leaves a gap at the rear, it should be considered for occasional use only.
I do a fender eliminator for the standard seat ( for the poor sods who have to take thier wives out!), but it can't be used with the solo seat.
If you send me an e-mail i can send you pictures.

[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts