Cafe Racer Forum banner

801 - 820 of 866 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's got "go" everywhere in every gear. had 130 on it last night and surprised at how little wind blast bothered me. I must be to big for the sports bikes fairings to make much difference.

It's the sport model and it's the bollocks, the electronic suspension is immense and the brakes are out of this world compared to the last few bikes I've had.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
This was delivered today. An amazing machine.
So hack the tail section add some clubmans and remove the fenders and you will have made it your own. :p You remind me how much better the brakes were on my VFR1200f and Buel 1125R than anything I have now. Both were spectacular stoppers even with the weight of the VFR1200. However the front tire showed the extra wear due to the weight.

This BMW reminds me very much of the Tuono.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It was the BMW, a Tuono or a MT10 (FZ in the colonies) the MT just didn't feel right and like the Tuono the pillion pegs are very high and my OH likes going pillion. Plus a similar tuono is a grand or two more.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
very likely the most molested sl350 on the planet as there is only the fenders and frame left that were from the sl

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Found these old pics recently, taken between 1981-88.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Oops. Guess I'd better come clean then, I've owned 2.....There I said it.
I'm sure most folks here have some skeletons in their closet. I still own this horrid thing. Great for its intended purpose, inspiring to the point where it just sat on the driveway and rotted. I was looking for a CX650E to play with, but stumbled across this for a few hundred. When I came across this site and mentioned I wanted to do something with a GL500I ( not turn it into a cafe racer whatever that is supposed to be.... to me it's something like an orphaned manx frame that had its engine robbed for a Cooper race car and some working class stiff jammed a preunit Triumph into it.), I vaigly remember Geeto giving me a kick in the nuts for showing up with another maggot. At the time I was blissfully unaware what people were doing with CX500's etc. I did a search on Google and then understood his gag reflex.

Maggot.jpg

·
Registered
773 Posts
amazing to think that in 1981 you could roll down to honda and buy that, which was pidgeon-holed into being a tourer. but that sort of bike didn't even exist 5 years before or general "narrow focus" model building for that matter. in 1971 you bought a bike and road it. now you have a sport and naked and tourer and adventure tourer.

801 - 820 of 866 Posts