Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Houston Texas. I thought joining this forum and asking questions was going to be my best bet for getting advice on a project I'm considering. I've been riding since '08 (an R6, CBR1KRR and currently S1KR) Done plenty of track days and as a mechanical engineer have a solid footing with machining, welding etc.

I'm considering doing a '03 CB750 from a donor Nighthawk. Seller says the engine is in good running condition and all pictures I'm seeing of this thing look quite clean and well maintained.

I'm not happy with a few original aspects of the Nighthawk - its tank to me is hideous, the single brake front wheel seems inadequate, its forks to me are spindly and there's one or two other minor things I'd change.

So, all things being equal and if the donor bike/engine/frame/suspension, etc are sound how much blood sweat and tears and I'm signing myself up for if I want to go from this

to something approaching something more like this/these

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
One and two are not bad examples. The last one needs a couple of more pictures....but it kinda smells like a pile of shit.

Are you after a style exercise, or after something that actually works as a motorcycle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One and two are not bad examples. The last one needs a couple of more pictures....but it kinda smells like a pile of shit.

Are you after a style exercise, or after something that actually works as a motorcycle?
Definitely something rideable. If I can't have fun riding it, its useless to me.

I'm hoping I could take that 750 engine and the existing frame and maybe make something simple and enjoyable to ride. But since I've only ridden sport bikes the dual shock frame is new to me and I'm not sure what to expect from that feel.

The simplicity of the CB bikes really appeals to me though if its stripped down to the essentials.

As far as the examples I posted I agree, first two would be more my speed and what I'd try to achieve.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Only thing I see simple about these bikes is that they are air cooled.
That #3 bike has a major problem with his front forks and I think that was even intentional. Don't copy that it's beyond dumb to reduce the suspension travel on your forks.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
What is simple about these bikes?
They are multi cam, multi carb, high rev'ing motors. Look at the specific outputs, and that is even for something non performance oriented like this gen CB750.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That is the $64,000 question that is rarely answered correctly. It's always a challenge to upodate electrics and hide the wiring loom. Even more of challenge on a bike that came with a fairing and all sorts of bits between the frame and fairing to wave a magic wand over to make them disappear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts