Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the tank on the cb may or may not get replaced...so i thought id try to bang some knee dents.

came out pretty good, easier than I thought...just needs some bondo to smooth everything out now.

tip - dont be a pussy, get a ballpeeeeeeen and just hit the motherfucker!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
is Geeto on vacation? i can picture him on the beach sipping on a beverage and then reading this on his laptop and turning red and squeezing his beverage glass until it breaks....

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think if I were to do some I'd simply cut an appropriate section from another tank and cut out inletting reliefs in the soon to be knee dented tank and tig weld those babies in

it would damned sure be a cleaner and smoother job requiring virtually no filler

all that ball peening without any sandbags to back the metal just has to fatigue the living bejeezus out of that metal

be sure and put a good liner in it

I'd be scared the harmonic gremlins would crack it at the least opportune time

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
even better

I'd cut my inletting reliefs in the tank and weld the fitting donor parts cut oversize

then take a whiz wheel and trim it nice and close

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jesus FUCK! gasoline goes in there! What The GODDAM FUCKING HELL ARE YOU THINKING???!!! Holy christ. I need a bit more VINO...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Holy Fuck, I get it now: CAFE fetishists are the new so-called "FIXIE" bicycle emo-fags who know nothing about the words 'Keirin' or 'Kilo' or 'Maddison' and would shit their peg legged pants on teh approach of 45 degree banks on 300m tracks...

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I don't know many motorcyclists that won't admit being at least a bit disconcerted or even tentative the first time they go from flat to the transition right into a steeply banked curve

watched it many times as they let out of the gas and scuttle around the apron

I sure did my first time but didn't foul my drawers

Now I think peening the piss out of that tank and fatiguing the thin sheet metal is the wrong approach and potentially unsafe without a serious tank liner like say ....... seal pak

but I don't see anything wrong with clearing a place in the tank to prevent your thumbs from being mashed and providing some clearance for the forks..... or even reshaping the rear section of it to fit ones knees

am I missing something or does the general population here simply object to either/both practice(s) when building such a special purpose machine?

Is the the actual re-sculpting or the ball peen hammer approach being objected to?

I know many here go instantly rabid over clubman bars and I've not bothered to find out why

but if they locate the rider's hands in the same place clip ons would and maybe that's all that's in the budget for bars or maybe a builder doesn't want clip ons for whatever reason

how can they be so wrong if the function is there and even better if it's more affordable?

maybe I miss the logic behind those objections too even though I really dig my Tomaselli three ways and would make something similar had Joey Two Bolts not generously hooked me up with a set

I'm ready to be schooled and would like to understand

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by shortshift

Holy Fuck, I get it now: CAFE fetishists are the new so-called "FIXIE" bicycle emo-fags who know nothing about the words 'Keirin' or 'Kilo' or 'Maddison' and would shit their peg legged pants on teh approach of 45 degree banks on 300m tracks...
ah, another velophile!!!

did you read about the japanese bribing the UCI into including the keirin in olympic competition?

i agree completely on all your points. having spent 2 of the last 3 weekends in chicago, i can attest to your frustration. of the 2 million fixxies i saw lumbering through traffic around the city, i only saw 2 people able to track stand at a light!!!

...any hipster worth thier weight in soy HAS to have fixxie. it's part of the costume. probably because they can't keep their flat black "cafe racer" on the road.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks mudmonkey...im glad someone liked them, holy hell!

anyway...if you guys dont like them thats fine, i dig them.

1. yes the tank is getting sealed
2. i really dont think i weakened that much like everyone says
3. some of the people that made fun have ugly ass bikes

point, a bit of bondo and some sanding will make that fucker look perfect...im not gonna leave the marks from the hammer dummies!

The point of the thread was to show you that you dont have to go out and spend $400-600 for a new tank if all you want is a more classic look.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
the argument has been one of function over aesthetics - knee dents remove gas capacity, and aren't generally needed on a streetbike.

the clubman argument is generally about the fact that on some bikes, you don't have clearance and will bash dents in the tank with those bars, and that they're really about aesthetics and not functionality (like the knee dents).

I admit to stirring the pot on clubmans just for fun. I happen to like the look of knee dents but I did it the easy way by using a tank that already has them - so I'm lazy, *and* a me-too'er. :D

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
HackA,
I believe that several of the people who post here have a sense of rightness, perhaps myself included, about modifying bikes. Som of it has to do with form over function and some of it has to do with taking the easy way out to achieve a "look". Some, myself not included, feel that there is a cafe way of life that either they or others can buy their way into by putting on some clubman bars, a 69 sticker, some checkerboard decals and painting the rest flat black. I suspect that this is more prevalent in the urban areas where young adults (hipsters) are fad participants in a variety of transportation choices and those that have walked the walk are no longer able to be distinguished from those that bought their way in.
In this particular case, I think that the hammer marks and the plan to fill them with bondo to achieve a look have rubbed some people the wrong way. It has caused several, you included, to question the safety aspects of such a mod and others to question the need of the mod in the first place. Without any background on Tim's abilities or experience, many have chosen to voice their opinion that he is a poseur in the motorcycle world. I generally am opposed to bondo as a construction technique and wonder at the need for knee indentations and hand relief on a CB350 since I can't imagine any reasonable handlebar/footpeg/seat combination that would require it.
As you have noticed, some people have a particular disdain for certain pieces of equipment i.e. clubman bars, because they have become associated with the "Cafe" look. I believe they have their place, but not on any of my bikes, because I have the experience, ability,finances and understanding to be more specialized in where I want my hands on any particular bike. Not everybody else is in the same position. Unfortunately, not everybody takes advice or contrary opinions from their own well and generally resort to name calling and pouting while they look for others to agree with them so that they can feel justified in their ignorance.
Of course, most of us don't really know each other in real life and have to make judgments about others based on what we see on the computer screen. For all we know I could really be a fourteen year old girl named Becky and you have pulled every picture you have posted from the depths of the internet and called them your own. That way those that are new to a site and have not taken the time or interest to learn about the members feel justified in breaking with common courtesy and inflict their opinions and standards on any and all that are present. Mudpuppy has pronounced his opinion of several long time members of this board to any newcomers that receive any negative comments about projects they have posted. I would assume that if someone posts pictures of a project that they are working on then they are interested in all opinions both good and bad. If they are posting just to brag about what they can do then perhaps they will take offense at responses that don't massage their egos.

I tend to take a more wait and see attitude when it comes to new members coming in and stirring up a mess. Most of them don't really have much staying power in a board of this caliber. I suspect that most of them will tire of the customized motorcycle end of riding and wander off to hopped up Honda civics and cruisers with chrome so they can become members of those communities that may be kinder and gentler.

Ken (Becky?)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Becky, wanna piece of candy?

It will make you swim better!

I appreciate the patient explaining guys.

Have any of you ever tried those "condor" or adjustable clubmans?

they aren't bad for some bikes but I'm thinking they cost as much or more as basic clipons........ seems like about a hunnert bucks.

ANyhow, somebody tell me what the terms "fixxie", "velophile" and "hipster" would refer to........ guess I'm too L7 to know.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Ken,

The line, "I generally am opposed to bondo as a construction technique and wonder at the need for knee indentations and hand relief on a CB350 since I can't imagine any reasonable handlebar/footpeg/seat combination that would require it.", really cracked me up. I want to thank you for helping to fix my already shitty day.

I just found out that my entry form for the Mosport race got returned due to lack of postage. And it was sent out on the deadline. I think I'm going to put some knee dents in one of my bikes right now. I don't have a ball peen hammer, think my claw hammer would work as well?

Craig

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well said ken (becky) haha.

I was not posting to brag or show off, I was simply posting to show that it can be done if you should want to but are too afraid of the consequences.

I am new to bikes, but have always been drawn to the older more classic looking bikes...so it makes sense to build a cafe racer instead of a cock extension(think lots and lots of chrome) or a street bike. I am new to motorcycles, everyone is at some point or another...and this is why I joined...for advice and opinion if I should ever need help.

I dont need some fucking fag telling me I'm a hipster and poser because I posted a photo of my tank so, snorklefork, blow me.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Craig,
Claw hammers will work, however, if you use the alloy tank on your race bike your forehead should do the trick.

Ken

1 - 20 of 57 Posts