Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have started doing some powder coating. i'm convinced that prep is the key to this stuff, just lik paint. also like paint, go with quality powder.

here is my xs650 triple tree!

i have all my motor mounts and odd and ends in the same black. i'm going to try this chrome powder i got on the motor covers then clear coat over them. its a really neat method of coloring an object, and i don't know why entire cars aren't done this way. i may even do my fuel tank in powder.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a dedicated home range in the garage. ventalation isn't the best, so i try to stay outside while its curing. appearantly its bad for ya. blah blah blah

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
yeah, its really important that the parts be dirt and grease free.

jc

·
Registered
546 Posts
wow that looks great pampadori. Any way you could post some steps to this result cause i would be very interested. or ever thought about doing it for money? but off topic what year is ur XS I have one my bike is in my sig.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i strip the paint with paint stripper. sand any rough spots. degrease with grease light'n, and preheat the part, powdercoat it, bake it for about 30 minutes in the dedicated oven and then let it slowly cool. usually the hardest part is figuring out how to hang it in the oven.

yeah, i'd be willing to do some stuff for loot. has to fit in a oven though. and don't send me something that needs an hour of dis-assembly (no rubber or plastic parts can be attached or hidden inside obviously).

my xs is a 1982 SH. Piece by piece its getting redone into a chop.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
It does indeed look very nice

I test my powder coater's work with a hammer when he drops it off to me

I thought he would mess himself the first time he watched me do it

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
pretty sure many production cars are electrostatic painted then baked

it's never as shiny or deep as masterfully applied old fashioned paint

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have powder coated my wifes VTR250 motor parts with a chrome look powder. They look as awesome as your parts.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll remember that offer and will probably contact you maybe next winter to do some work. Good luck with the chopper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts