Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my current Enfield has a Power Commander V to go along with the other things I did to it (cams, valve kit, etc, etc...) and the tech that did the work installed a map to the PCV that he had from a workup of a much more modded engine than I went with this one.

Instead of installing his map in the second slot, he overwrote the MAP that Hitchcock's worked up for the things I had done.It doesn't run bad and the plug color is pretty close, I can't help but think that the Hitchcock MAP that they wrote on their dyno may be better suited to this engine. I think the fueling could be better throughout (I'm running a 500cc at +-8.7/1 compression as opposed to a 535cc with a lightened crank, 2mm larger diameter throttle body and +- 10.5/1).

My question is (for those of you who've hung in there so far), does anyone have a basic set of instructions (read easily comprehended) to install the right map into my little black box? I have the correct map, the ap installed on my laptop and the cable to connect.

Honestly, most of the information to do this I have found online, including Dynojet's website seems intended for someone who already knows what they're doing. And so much extra babble that it I get lost.

Thanks.

P.S. Where's Whitworth when you need him?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
So, my current Enfield has a Power Commander V to go along with the other things I did to it (cams, valve kit, etc, etc...) and the tech that did the work installed a map to the PCV that he had from a workup of a much more modded engine than I went with this one.

Instead of installing his map in the second slot, he overwrote the MAP that Hitchcock's worked up for the things I had done.It doesn't run bad and the plug color is pretty close, I can't help but think that the Hitchcock MAP that they wrote on their dyno may be better suited to this engine. I think the fueling could be better throughout (I'm running a 500cc at +-8.7/1 compression as opposed to a 535cc with a lightened crank, 2mm larger diameter throttle body and +- 10.5/1).

My question is (for those of you who've hung in there so far), does anyone have a basic set of instructions (read easily comprehended) to install the right map into my little black box? I have the correct map, the ap installed on my laptop and the cable to connect.

Honestly, most of the information to do this I have found online, including Dynojet's website seems intended for someone who already knows what they're doing. And so much extra babble that it I get lost.

Thanks.

P.S. Where's Whitworth when you need him?
PVC?
If you get a hold of Hitchcock's can they not reprogram you over the internet?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PVC?
If you get a hold of Hitchcock's can they not reprogram you over the internet?
No, but they were gracious enough to send me a copy of the MAP. When I view or read the how toos no matter what or who, it just turns my brain to spaghetti.

A couple of the youtube videos contain so much idle chat that it just doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm trying to use this wonderful time we're going through to become more self reliant, but this one has me, to the point that I now understand why I decided not to finish college...

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Are the instructions something you can post up here or on the net somewhere we can have a read? Maybe we can collectively figure it out ;)

Riding is great here right now, black flies are terrible.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have had a regular power commander but have not worked on a PCV. Good luck. I'm pretty sure they are mostly idiot proof! You got this...

·
Registered
773 Posts
you might need to hook up an auxilary battery to the pcv, as the power it takes from the injectors is only there when the injectors are powered which is usually for a short time after key on and then while it's running. pc3 usb came with a little 9v adaptor, but i've not used any pcv.

then hook up the cable to it and the pc and open the software. you should see a throttle position and some other lighted icons. if you "open map" and find the file on your pc you want to load into it, that will then be on your screen. then you "send map" to the pcv.

this from the pcv site:

>In order to send a map to the Power Commander you must first connect the USB cable to the computer and to the Power Commander unit. Make sure that the cable is fully seated into the Power Commander. There is a detent on the cable that could require light pressure to fully engage the cable. Open the Power Commander software by double clicking the PCV icon on your desktop. Click on OPEN MAP FILE and select the map you want to use from the database. Once the map is shown in the tree view area and the software says “Map File Opened Successfully” in the status bar at the bottom of the software window, click SEND MAP to load the opened map file into the connected PCV device.
or this -

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I figured, it turned out to be much simpler to do exactly what my tech did in the first place. Overwrite the map in use by the PCV.

Take laptop, open PCV ap. Hook USB cable to both laptop and PCV. Click on open map, that shows the current map running. Open the map stored in your laptop to make sure it's actually there and click send.

Problem solved. no more miss and flat spots in the throttle curve that I hadn't really noticed, strictly from ignorance of them, disappeared and were replaced by a steady urgency to accelerate. Using the information on the map tables in question, there were swings equivalent of up to 7 jet sizes between the two maps...

And Brad, that youtube video was one of the sources of my confusion...

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm not even going to talk about the oil change debacle today...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, while it’s no rocket, it’s running well now.

These two clips are back to back sections in S. E. MI. The second one includes a tour of the infamous Hell Michigan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts