Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so.. I have been reading this forum and many others for several weeks now.
I missed out on the GT550 (possibly a good thing).

Since I can no longer claim first post ignorance I brought my camera with me this time...
How slow will this 1978 XS400 be?

Here is the other option;

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
That 400 would be painfully slow.

The SOHC Hondas are pretty much the small block Chevy of the cafe world. Lots of parts, lots of interchange, everything that can be has been done to one. Depends on how you look at that.

There are good, cheap two-stroke starts out there if you just keep looking;

T500, $500 asking, prolly $350-400 buying

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/2614857652.html

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
That 400 would be painfully slow.

The SOHC Hondas are pretty much the small block Chevy of the cafe world. Lots of parts, lots of interchange, everything that can be has been done to one. Depends on how you look at that.

There are good, cheap two-stroke starts out there if you just keep looking;

T500, $500 asking, prolly $350-400 buying

http://waterloo.craigslist.org/mcy/2614857652.html

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
any details at all about the bikes?

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
any details at all about the bikes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think an RD would be my preferred start but.... I would like to find closer to home. The problem with that is being in Montana, just not a lot available here. I found a running one only 3.5 hours away, but they guy is asking almosts 2k for it! that is a lot of $$ to just get started on a project.

I have a few details about the bikes...but not much. The guy deals in salvage bikes, been in Missoula forever. I bought some stuff from him 20 years ago. But he can only go off of what people tell him so...the information is questionable. Both kick over fine, 'sounds' like decent compression when I pull the carb boots off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think an RD would be my preferred start but.... I would like to find closer to home. The problem with that is being in Montana, just not a lot available here. I found a running one only 3.5 hours away, but they guy is asking almosts 2k for it! that is a lot of $$ to just get started on a project.

I have a few details about the bikes...but not much. The guy deals in salvage bikes, been in Missoula forever. I bought some stuff from him 20 years ago. But he can only go off of what people tell him so...the information is questionable. Both kick over fine, 'sounds' like decent compression when I pull the carb boots off.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
$?

Gota give us the whole picture here to get help....

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
$?

Gota give us the whole picture here to get help....

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
do they come with titles?
wiring look on?
roll?
come with the missing parts?

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
do they come with titles?
wiring look on?