Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well being that my good old buddy ken has decided to come down to summit in april to race with me, joe, and whomever else shows, i thought i'd finally get around to putting together a bike for him.

i had my street cafe project that i'd thought about donating to this endeavor, but then i found this:

so after a quick consult with casey, i bought it and will begin working on it immediately! it's gonna have to be a cheap and cheerful race conversion.

first step is to drill and wire all necessary bolts and nuts. number board on the front headlight mounts, rear number boards will be on a tannermatic fiberglass seat which is being currently fabricated for me.

the carbs will get cleaned and rebuilt. i have some take-offs from craig hirko (thanks bro, no i didn't forget about you).

i'm hoping to do a pvl on my stocker (which i have, but don't know if i'll have the time to set it up and install). if i do, this bike will get my dyna-s ignition and coils. if i find more time, i have a set of 35mm forks, but need to find a set of triples that will work. got a spare set of 35mm clipons.

got to figure out some rearsets. probably will just copy the ones i got on my current ride.

i'll keep you all posted with pics on my progress.

cheers,

texy

p.s- down the road, i'll have to upgrade the front brake, but the stock brake will probably have to do for it's maiden voyage.

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

Edited by - texmawby on Jan 20 2008 8:16:00 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i say you leave the front brake light switch hooked up so we can all go by in t1!!

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and ken, youre not allowed to beat me at my new home track. even if i do run out of gas.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tex,
Stock brakes work ok, you just have to squeeze harder and plan on carrying more corner speed. My WERA number is 119.

Joe, I have only raced Summit twice. In 77 on a CB400f and in 85 on an FJ600. I don't remember beating very many people either time, so don't worry too much.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
149 Posts
how are the drum front ends with smaller bikes.. i have never ridden a bike with drum front... is it alot more brake effort? are race shoes made for 350's?
are disc upgrades allowed in the class you run?

----------------------------
http://www.driftalliance.com

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Texy,
I don't have a transponder at this point, but I will get one.
Well, things have taken a turn for the interesting. I aqm about to join the ranks of the soon to be unemployed. I am submitting my resignation to the school board tomorrow, effective the end of this school year. My wife and I have a multitude of reasons for not wanting to work in Rural Alaska any longer. I anticipate finding a new principal job before the end of the year in either Minnesota or Georgia. Who knows what this will do to my spring racing plans, but it sure will extend my season past the end of July. If anybody knows of a good education job, let me know. I am also looking into some corporate training positions, too so that might be interesting and profitable as well.

Wish me luck, quiting a really well paying job with out another one in place is stressful.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Oh Yeah,
Brakes just slow you down.
Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
quote:
Texy,
I don't have a transponder at this point, but I will get one.
Well, things have taken a turn for the interesting. I aqm about to join the ranks of the soon to be unemployed. I am submitting my resignation to the school board tomorrow, effective the end of this school year. My wife and I have a multitude of reasons for not wanting to work in Rural Alaska any longer. I anticipate finding a new principal job before the end of the year in either Minnesota or Georgia. Who knows what this will do to my spring racing plans, but it sure will extend my season past the end of July. If anybody knows of a good education job, let me know. I am also looking into some corporate training positions, too so that might be interesting and profitable as well.

Wish me luck, quiting a really well paying job with out another one in place is stressful.

Ken

AHRMA 412

HEY! Come run my school! Just another inner-city high school plagued by inadequate funding, low staff morale, inept district leadership and a pervasive culture of failure among students.

C'mon. It'll be a hoot!

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
347 Posts
i've got some race compound shoes that i guess i can lend if you need em.

scott from chicago
(really slow guy in an orange shirt)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts