Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey , just looking for some opinions on the gs750 spefically a 77. havent read up on many suzukis, only hondas, so would like to know the good and bad about the bike. can pick up another bike on a good deal

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Pros:
Faster than other 750's, better frame than any of the other large bikes of the era (the kz650 is better, IMO), takes mods like crazy (uses same cams as the gs1000), roller-bearing bottom end, handles pretty well, still has a kickstart.

Cons:
Slower than a gs1000, forks don't have blanks for dual disc setup, a little long, and a little heavy.

There's a reason Yoshi went with it as his bike when they were released.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Pros:
Faster than other 750's, better frame than any of the other large bikes of the era (the kz650 is better, IMO), takes mods like crazy (uses same cams as the gs1000), roller-bearing bottom end, handles pretty well, still has a kickstart.

Cons:
Slower than a gs1000, forks don't have blanks for dual disc setup, a little long, and a little heavy.

There's a reason Yoshi went with it as his bike when they were released.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It has "shim on top of bucket" valve adjustment. With the special tool from Suzuki, pretty easy to do. Although the old paper based valve cover gasket can be a pain to remove sometimes. I found that coating both sides of the gasket with anti-seize, pretty much stopped it from sticking. Messy to apply it though. The only bad thing that I've heard about shim on top, is that you don't want to over rev to the point of valve float. It can then "spit a shim",,,,, then all hell breaks loose. I had the 78 GS750E, with dual disks, so they can be fitted if you shop around. Oh, and early ones tended to weep oil at the head area around the cam chain tunnel. Supposedly due to the large o-ring seal around the tunnel not being up to snuff.
Mine leaked there, but it was never enough to cause concern.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It has "shim on top of bucket" valve adjustment. With the special tool from Suzuki, pretty easy to do. Although the old paper based valve cover gasket can be a pain to remove sometimes. I found that coating both sides of the gasket with anti-seize, pretty much stopped it from sticking. Messy to apply it though. The only bad thing that I've heard about shim on top, is that you don't want to over rev to the point of valve float. It can then "spit a shim",,,,, then all hell breaks loose. I had the 78 GS750E, with dual disks, so they can be fitted if you shop around. Oh, and early ones tended to weep oil at the head area around the cam chain tunnel. Supposedly due to the large o-ring seal around the tunnel not being up to snuff.
Mine leaked there, but it was never enough to cause concern.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a 79, put the 77 spoked wheels on it and ran the dual discs with the 77 hub no problem. Bike was fast enough to scare me, easy to work on and gave me no troubles while I owned it. The GS engines are way overbuilt because Suzuki was late to the 4 stroke game and couldn't afford failure. I traded mine in pieces (I tore it apart to do a ground up build) for a CB450 and a CL450 plus $100, and now I'm looking to purchase another one for a touring machine. Loved that bike.

I guess the one thing I didn't like was with clip-ons installed and the stock 5 gallon tank it was a stretch for me, I'm 5' 9". It is a big bike and something like 490-500lbs, dumped it on my leg once and it was a fight to get it off me. I've had enough beers and internet for the night, just buy one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a 79, put the 77 spoked wheels on it and ran the dual discs with the 77 hub no problem. Bike was fast enough to scare me, easy to work on and gave me no troubles while I owned it. The GS engines are way overbuilt because Suzuki was late to the 4 stroke game and couldn't afford failure. I traded mine in pieces (I tore it apart to do a ground up build) for a CB450 and a CL450 plus $100, and now I'm looking to purchase another one for a touring machine. Loved that bike.

I guess the one thing I didn't like was with clip-ons installed and the stock 5 gallon tank it was a stretch for me, I'm 5' 9". It is a big bike and something like 490-500lbs, dumped it on my leg once and it was a fight to get it off me. I've had enough beers and internet for the night, just buy one.

·
Registered
745 Posts
jealous of kickstarter. [V]

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
quote:Originally posted by engel

Ha, ha! And I could start my 78 with my hands,,,, on the kickstarter.
Two hands when she was cold, one when she was warm.
Gawd do I love an in-line four! :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
quote:Originally posted by engel

Ha, ha! And I could start my 78 with my hands,,,, on the kickstarter.
Two hands when she was cold, one when she was warm.
Gawd do I love an in-line four! :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
my gsx1100 is my first girls bike (devoid of kicker). the CBR and theGS1100G are also in the same vein. something just doesn't seem natural if you can't flick a lever, lunge at it, and feel your expended energy bring the silent beast to life. not that having an electric foot isn't appreciated but relying on it solely has me quetioning my sexuality. fortunately the vincent which kickstarter you can rest your entire weight on through a pair of 8:1's and remain stationary despite worn rings reaffirms my not so very much metrosexual status.

hence, still jealous of the early gs and its kicker.

·
Registered
745 Posts
my gsx1100 is my first girls bike (devoid of kicker). the CBR and theGS1100G are also in the same vein. something just doesn't seem natural if you can't flick a lever, lunge at it, and feel your expended energy bring the silent beast to life. not that having an electric foot isn't appreciated but relying on it solely has me quetioning my sexuality. fortunately the vincent which kickstarter you can rest your entire weight on through a pair of 8:1's and remain stationary despite worn rings reaffirms my not so very much metrosexual status.

hence, still jealous of the early gs and its kicker.

·
Registered
372 Posts
But fellas, let's not get too carried away here. You don't see hand cranks on cars, and you don't see old dudes lamenting that fact. I'm still on the original starter on my 86 GSXR at 90,000+ miles, and when she didn't want to start, a kicker wouldn't have helped either.
So, hey, ya win some, ya lose some.

·
Registered
372 Posts
But fellas, let's not get too carried away here. You don't see hand cranks on cars, and you don't see old dudes lamenting that fact. I'm still on the original starter on my 86 GSXR at 90,000+ miles, and when she didn't want to start, a kicker wouldn't have helped either.
So, hey, ya win some, ya lose some.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Be wary of the charging system, ESP the stator. Also oil pressure is key - these are high volume low pressure bikes so if you see one where the oil light is flashing at idle I probably has been abused and doesn't have enough oil in it.

Other than that I use mine as a daily hack and it is awesome

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Be wary of the charging system, ESP the stator. Also oil pressure is key - these are high volume low pressure bikes so if you see one where the oil light is flashing at idle I probably has been abused and doesn't have enough oil in it.

Other than that I use mine as a daily hack and it is awesome

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Geets, whats funny, is that while I guess the reg/recs/stator go bad often enough in them, every GS I've fucked with that had bad electricals was from the whacky ass grounding, which is to the battery tray, which is rubber-mounted... Once everything was grounded properly, everything worked fine again.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying it hasn't happened on the 5 or 6 GS's in my group of friends...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts