Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys when I was stripping my frame I came across something horrid, some small holes in the tubing from rust. They are located on the underside of the very bottom of the frame...near the motor mounts...within an inch I'd say.

Now my question is this. This bike is going to be used just for cruising around, no racing...so can I "patch" the holes by having some steel welded over like a band aid?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Tim

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
do you have pics of this? I am assuming that it is your 1971 cb500. Not 100% familar with the frame, do they look drilled or are they actual rot pinholes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geeto, they are definitly rot holes, not drilled. It would be on the part of the frame that would scrape the ground if you took the wheels off...right under the motor near the mounts.

Sorry, I dont have pics at the moment. There are a few holes, the biggest being about the size of a tack-head.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
dude it's PICTURES WEEK!!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i do not have pictures, I was crying like a bitch when I saw those holes in the frame...so there was no time for a photoshoot.

Cmon guys help me!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
well...cb frames are a dime a dozen, espically 350 frames. I would consider just replacing it with a clean frame. sounds like water collected in the tube and ate its way out, indicative of a bigger problem.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
can you machine spuds and weld?

if you ain't skeert then JB Weld them or take Geeto's sage advice

you could always cheat a bit and just graft in the sections you need if papers are a concern.

we will hear no crying without pictures

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Go ahead and band-aid it. I think most of the time a piece of tubing is split in half and welded over where it is rusted. That is not a particularly high stress area of the frame.

Ken

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very well good sirs...pictures forthcoming this week!

Thanks, tim

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Tim

very well good sirs...pictures forthcoming this week!

Thanks, tim
I also have a spare 350 frame (are you talking CB350?) I would let go cheap if you screw up the patch...but you'd have to retrieve it from Schenectady, NY.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the offer pete but I think I'm gonna just go to the little muffler shop down the street and have good ol marty muffler patch her up.

As soon as I saw it yesterday I was thinking exactly what Ken said...cut some tubing in half and apply the "bandage"

I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a high stress area...wouldn't it be a shame for the motor to fall through the frame when I'm putting along at 40 and hit a bumb?

Haha...still might happen we'll see!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ttilghman

hey pete-

you and your teammates and possibly your wife race those things....you might wanna hold on to it for a bit.

-tt
leave my wife out of this...*kidding, just kidding for shit's sake!*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts