Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple of photos of one of the rearsets I just bought:

I was going to weld a bracket to the frame of my bike, and then bolt the rearset to the bracket. But now I'm looking at this damn thing, and it looks like the lever would just bind up against the bracket as soon as I tighten the nut. What is supposed to keep the lever from being jammed tight against the bracket when I tighten the mounting nut?

I thought about putting a spacer on the shaft, next to the nut. Then I could tighten the nut, and the lever would pivot freely on the shaft. But then the footpeg would rotate too, (which would make a really poor installation, since these are folding footpegs and they need to stay fixed and not rotate). Am I missing something?

Edited by - steve barker on Jul 30 2007 02:18:38 AM

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yeah, you've got to play around with some washers to make them work. I found that a thin smaller o.d. washer up against the armature and another thin but larger o.d. washer on the plate side (with a little grease smeared in there) works ok. Eventually, I had a machinist friend just mill a thick washer down so it had a shoulder.

Don't worry about the peg spinning. Once you have the washer situation sorted out, the lock nut provided with the rearsets will do its job.

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
it looks like the knurled piece is on threads so you can leave/adjust space so the lever has some play? but also, it looks like this is the brake lever...no heim joint for shifter linkage? but in your image it's oriented to the left hand side of the bike...if it was on the right, then you'd be pushing the brake pull rod? is the toe rod bolted into the bracket or peened, if it's bolted you could switch it over.

or am i just not seeing this correctly? if it's the brake, it seems like you'd want to switch the toe rod over to keep the hole on the lever pointed up, then put the footpeg in on the other side from what you have pictured, keeping the knurled piece on the outside with proper adjustment for the lever, then bolt the whole thing up with the rearset bracket flush on your newly welded frame bracket?

no help whatsoever-
tt

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, guys. Krapfever, I like that idea about having a machinist mill down a washer. That should solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If your gonna get a machinist involved, have him make you some weld bungs for peg mounts. OD will be same size as the step in the peg stud. That way you can tighten the peg w/o binding up the lever. Then you can set the lever clearance with a washer between the mount. OR if your machinist is up to it, should be able to make a shouldered bung so it's all one piece.

Keep us posted, I've looked at those rearsets for my bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts