Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the fork seals in a set of 33mm late model cb350 forks and when done realized that there is a significant difference in the depth of the seat for the seal and the seal itself. So that after replacing the circlip there is several mm's of space between them. I thought that maybe i was missing a washer that belongs between them but neither the shop manual or the parts fiche make mention of them. What's the deal?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is no one going to touch this? I don't want to put these back on the bike till i know they're done correctly.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Without knowing what kind of seals that were used, I don't think filling the space void with spacers should hurt anything. The main items to look at, do the seals have the proper diam for the forks, and are they installed to the proper position on the forks. If for some reason (wrong size seals) you have to add spaces - that should work out A-OK...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I did mine but it was months ago and my memory is not perfect, but as I remember
the after market \ made for Honda cb 350 seals are not as tall as the original equipment, and the void was really deep, deeper than required even for the original stock seals, I don't think you would have to do anything and they would work, that said I was worried they would ride up and possibly tip and start to leak, so I used shimming washers from McMaster Carr to take up some of the extra space, you can also take the old seals trim them and put them on top of the new seals as spacers, even an o ring would work, or felt cord. anything to fill the gap between the top of the new seal and the snap ring, or you can get seals from a large bearing house that have a deeper bore, for any id x od size there is often a range of thickness available

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
the oem seal is 33x47x10.5 mm

Honda part # 91255-312-003

the depth of the seat area is 15mm no spacer, washer, or spring,
the seal tends to ride up to the cir clip after installation and then remain there, so if the seal you have is 8mm, i don't think i would sweat the extra 2.5 mm gap

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put honda seals in mine and they have the same gap that you are talking about. Since they are the same size as the old ones and there are no spacers in there, I'm just planning on them riding up to the snap ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts