Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in some previous post that you fit a CR80 front wheel to a set of MB5 forks. What were the particulars on the conversion?

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I used a CR80 Hub, laced to a 17" wheel. Used the CR80 disk also. Along with MB5 forks and caliper.

Off the top of my head, without going down to the shop and looking at it. Pretty sure the hub fit right between the fork legs with little or no spacer work. The biggest job was milling the inside of the caliper to clear the CR80 hub/spokes. The CR80 is a fairly wide hub, so the spokes are farther out than the spokes on the cast MB5 wheels...so the spokes interfered with the caliper. Had to shave a few MM off the inside of the caliper so the spokes could rotate without touching it. Other than that it was a fairly "bolt-on" affair.
It's worked perfectly since I did the mod about three years ago.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hell that sounds easy and cheap enough. I could probably do the same with the rear and convert it to a disk. Why did you go with a 17" hoop?

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I wanted to use the Michelin M29 Comp tires which were 17"...plus...smaller is lighter. Unfortunately the M29 Comp tires are no longer available...luckily they last about ten years on a 50 :)

Yeah..only part that would be a problem for most people is milling the caliper. Seems like I might have had to mill down the head of some bolts too. If you need a pic I can take some.

Here's a pic where you can see some of it.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milling the caliper isnt a problem since I have a small mill. I can see why you went with 17" but that isnt gonna do me any good if I cant get tires. I'm also looking into a set of Kawasaki AR 50/80 wheels to use for this project. They would look sweet and would prolly be cheaper than a spoked setup plus they are pretty lite I put the word out to the VJMC and a few guys that race 50's over in the UK that I am looking for some so I'll see what happens.

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
There still are 17" 50cc race tires out there but you have to get them from Europe.
I think the CR80 front rim...at least the year I used is 17" anyway. So if you don't use a cast wheel you'd have to spoke something up which can add to the expense.
Easier to get 18" 50cc race tires.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the CR fronts I found are 17's as well. They are plentiful and cheap on the bay but damn those tires arent!

georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida

1 - 7 of 7 Posts