Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking a lot about getting a bike lately to save money on the daily commute and add an element of fun to that drive. I had a lot of dirt/street bikes when I was a kid and in my 20s, but, I have zero experience with street-only bikes.

A friend of mine has ofered me his 95 600 Seca II for a great price. I think they look pretty cool, but, he's selling it to me so cheap because he's in a bind for cash, and needs the money right away; before I can travel the 200+ miles to test ride it.

I've known this guy for years, so I don't need to test it to make sure it's in the condition he says it is, the first and most important question I have is whether I'll fit on it. I'm 6'5" and 250lbs. I don't know enough about it to be able to interpret the specs and know the difference. Can anyone help?

Also, the look I like most is a naked cafe racer; with stubby bars and no fairing. How would I go about eliminating the fairing from a Seca? Are there other models with standalone gauges that will swap directly over?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
You won't really know if its the right bike for you until you ride it anyway, so if you have the extra cash, why not help out a friend while you're at it?

As far as mods go, if you like the bike, strip the fairing and make a streetfighter out of it. Just know that stripping, chopping, cafe-ing any bike is always going to be at best a little difficult, at worst horribly frustrating but always totally worth it when you get it right. By the way, you're right to suspect the guages are going to be a bitch.

After doing this for a while I'm just now learning that it might be best to have two bikes. That way, you can have a daily rider and a work-in-progress. It seems like just when I finish a major change to one of them, I get a wild hair up my ass to mess with the other one.

So, yeah, if its a runner, get the Yamaha. If it doesn't work out you could: 1) get a second bike and keep messing with the Seca until you like it or 2) horse trade/sell the Seca for another bike.

Honda go sideways!

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
The Maxim Guages probably won't fit. They are from different Yamaha eras. The Maxim is an 80's design. The SecaII is a newer design. possibly something from the same era(90s) cruiser lineup would work. Maybe the Virago?
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts