Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...great site. I've been working on a CB 650 project for a few weeks now and I'm sure I can pull a lot of info off here.

Anyway, I desperately need to lower the front and I have been doing research into raising the fork tubes. Has anyone else done this and how did it affect handling? I need to go at least a few inches probably to get the tank almost level with the ground which is what I want.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that might be a little much. if you do, get a sterring stablizer. youll probably need it. but yes, we all pretty much have the tubes dropped through the trees. ive only gone about 3/4" with a stock setup. if you go with a different front end, you might have to drop them through more. to keep the steering rate the same. actually, im surprised jb just doesnt have his own tubes made to the length he wants depending on venue. anyway, just watch doing it too much.. it can bite ya in the ass. the steering will be way quicker. go little bits at a time. say 1/2" increments. watch out for shimmies and the front moving alot. if you get to that point, put on a sterring stabilizer, go back 1/4" and call it good. something else to watch out for is the fender smashing into the lower clamp. on my 550, at least, it can get pretty close without trying to hard.

someone will probably give you some kind of better scientific method. involving measuring and angles and degrees....that'll work too.

jc

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish? If you are looking to get the fuel tank level with the ground then in addition to dropping the front end, you can also raise the rear by using longer shocks. It can use new shocks anyway since even new stock shocks sucked. That might help you get level if you can stand to have a little extra seat height.
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
jc pretty much summed it up good. Most stock bikes of the era have very conservative rake angles to make them stable and easy to ride. Every bike is different...like he said..1/2" or so at a time. Almost all stock bikes need some lowering in the front...how far is too far...I don't know...never wanted to find out the hard way.

I've probably got my race bike down an inch from stock...both to quicken the steering and put more load on the front since the bike is back heavy....and with my height...I'm back on the seat pretty far too.

Yes Joe I've thought of trimming my tubes off in the lathe to save the weight of the part that sticking above the tree....but all those threads and stuff would be a bitch....and yes I do drop it down a bit more for Shannonville...raise it up a bit for Mosport.
JohnnyB

PS...what Ken said too...it's the best way...drop the front some...raise the back some....that keeps your ground clearance...quickens steering...gets some down angle on the swingarm...all good things.

Edited by - jbranson on Apr 14 2006 04:59:48 AM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I never thought of raising the back end back up and lowering the front at the same time because I always wanted to keep it low as possible. That may be the way to go though. The stock suspension should work just fine for now since I'm already almost broke buying a new tank, seat, bars, etc. Anyway, as I said before, I'm very glad this forum is here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts