Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is a GS suzuki from the early 1980s (1980-1983). Can't tell what displacement from here but it looks like one of the smaller ones. Probably a T a TX or an L since it has spoke wheels and doesn't look to have a tail section. The GS750s have valve cover caps that look like that but the engine looks too small, and it also looks like a twin and not a four cylinder.

You know the seller could just read the neck tag and have the year and the model. I am assuming he does not have a title for this rolling wreck.

start looking through here:
http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzuki/all_suzuki_models.html

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks to be a GS450 but not sure what year. Most I have seen have the round cam end covers but the one pictured has square cam ends. Not sure when they switched or maybe it is a different model. If titled and running it looks to be worth $350-450 in it's condition. Not titled or not running then maybe $175 max. The parts are very cheap though and they are easy to work on.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
if I were you I would be more interested in the BMW in the background than the piece of chit in the foreground....fyi

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for helping. I'm at work and I can't spend too much time surfing the web trying to find out.

Well, she wants $250 for it, which I planned on offering less, but wanted to know what it was before hassling any further with it. I doesn't have a title, and that will be a consideration. I also don't know if it will turn over or anything, so there's much to consider before I could settle on a price I would pay.

What kind of speed, or rather acceleration, could I get from this bike?

I'll find out about the other bike if she replies.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the gs450 with the mags has round cam box ends. i know that for a fact. that does look alot like a 450 though.

jc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, those 2 bikes are sold. She has another for $750 negotiable with title. Again she didn't tell me the model, but here it is:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 2_wheeled_slave

What kind of speed, or rather acceleration, could I get from this bike?

I'll find out about the other bike if she replies.
Dude the things a dog....about the only saving grace is that if it is a twin then you could possibly swap a gs500 twin motor into it out of a 1990s one...or so I am told since I have never actually done it. If you are asking about acceleration then pass on this turtle nugget....

That BMW in tha background, if it is an R90 or R100 would be tits though. lotsa torque

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
that gn is pretty nice....real clean and a good start on some tasteful mods (if you throw out the seat). the bike is still a dog performance wise....

...really you should be looking for a 750...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That BMW is sold, so is the turtle nugget (lol). Back to scouring craigslist.

I'm used to it though. A good deal comes to those who are patient. I bought my 2003 F4i in the spring/summer of 2004 for $5250. At that time, it was a steal. I also had been looking for at least 3 months daily.

As far as the GN goes, I already emailed her back declining. It does look nice, but I just can't get a slug after being on something that is pretty quick. I won't expect the same performance from something that's 20+ years older than my current bike, but get up is get up, and some of the older bikes got some of that too. Even if it's not as much.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
that GN is a pretty good place to start if you want a single. Compared to a CBR600, you would hate life every time you got on it.
Performance wise I wouldn't lok at anything smaller than a KZ650 or XS650 unless it is a 2 stroke.

Ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts