Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I was poking around on honda's site recently and noticed that the Shadow RS is only listed as a 2013 model and not a 2014. I think honda may have axed the Shadow RS for 2014 without saying anything. Anybody got the inside info? From what I hear the dealers are choking on the 2012/2013 inventory anyway so there is more than enough 883 fighters to go around for everybody.

FWIW, Honda hasn't put any effort into marketing this bike properly. With all the hubbub about retro bikes, honda has a product that fits squarely in that category and hardly anybody knows about it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
haha I love how you still spy on the Shadow. The RS is really a good bike. In fantasy land I always wanted to make a tracker out of it.

What's gheyer than two guys making out? Two men riding together through Brooklyn on a VTX750.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no the phantom and the RS existed in the lineup at the same time. Although they use the same powerplant and a few other items they are different enough bikes that you couldn't convert one to the other. The Phantom outsold the RS though and has continued on as a 2014 model.

Although it is a direct competitor to the sportster 883, the Guzzi v7, and the triumph bonnie, honda has it as a "crusier" in their lineup, not a standard. It's odd considering their introduction concepts were a flat tracker and a scrambler. Actually that was the most frustrating part about this bike - the show concepts generated a lot of buzz but at the end of the day nobody could buy the parts to replicate what honda did. there wasn't even a parts list for off the shelf items. talk about dropping the ball.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is what honda had Cobra build out of a pre production model:

and this is what one design house (Barr?) has done:

either of these would be pretty easy to get to production without watering down the concept too much, and would be awesome as a competitor to the triumph scrambler, but honda hasn't even made the flat bench seat available.

for comparison here is the stock bike in one year only aniversary colors:

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's gheyer than two guys making out? Two men riding together through Brooklyn on a VTX750.
It is only gay because you got a boner halfway through the ride.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If the engine had more potential, I'd like it better, assuming the engine doesn't have any major changes since the Shadow 750 ACE. I've done all the exhaust, intake and jetting mods to one and there isn't much there. Dependable? Hell yes. Exciting? Not in the least. I consider my Shadow a fat man's alternative to a scooter and probably would have bought another scooter for around town riding if decent used maxi scooters weren't twice as much as decent used Japanese v-twins.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ACE used a single crank pin design engine, this engine is like two redesigns away from the original ACE 750 mill. Potential? Every engine has potential depending on how far you are willing to re-engineer it. The stock ACE 750 puts out in the neighborhood of 36hp, this generation of 750 puts out closer to 49hp. There are 11:1 compression top end kits with cams that can bump another 10hp there abouts, but a screamer it will never really be.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's definitely better. There's a kit you can still find for my bike as well that has cams and pistons but it's a little pricey.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the right perspective to look at this is....you have a beginner bike that has the potential for the rider to own it for a while and mod it so they can have an interesting ride. Instead of garbage cb350s, if the cafe wannabe kids bought these they would at least have bikes that were not rotting away beneath them because of age. They could still do all those horrible mods like clubman bars and tiny lights nobody can see but they wouldn't fell the need to blow them completely apart because there is nothing to "restore". If you financed one I can't imagine your payments would be more than $100 a month for a new bike, and used (when they do come up) they are like $3k. Of course the real "hardcore" of the morons would still buy and blow apart cb350s (you can't fix stupid) but the borderline kids, the kids who just generally want to discover riding but are lead down the wrong path by pipeburn...this could help bring them around.

If I was smart, or ambitious, I could start a parts company that just catered to small parts for beginner bikes. Tu250s, Harley 883s. Shadow RS, guzzi v7. I would even call it "beginners luck". But I am not that ambitious.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I guess the right perspective to look at this is....you have a beginner bike that has the potential for the rider to own it for a while and mod it so they can have an interesting ride. Instead of garbage cb350s, if the cafe wannabe kids bought these they would at least have bikes that were not rotting away beneath them because of age. They could still do all those horrible mods like clubman bars and tiny lights nobody can see but they wouldn't fell the need to blow them completely apart because there is nothing to "restore". If you financed one I can't imagine your payments would be more than $100 a month for a new bike, and used (when they do come up) they are like $3k. Of course the real "hardcore" of the morons would still buy and blow apart cb350s (you can't fix stupid) but the borderline kids, the kids who just generally want to discover riding but are lead down the wrong path by pipeburn...this could help bring them around.

If I was smart, or ambitious, I could start a parts company that just catered to small parts for beginner bikes. Tu250s, Harley 883s. Shadow RS, guzzi v7. I would even call it "beginners luck". But I am not that ambitious.
Damn it man! Think of the sticker and clubman revenue alone!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
This is why I am a bad business man, because I wouldn't sell clubmans and I would give away the stickers for free.
"As your attorney I advise you to buy the hipsterest rundown warehouse and fill it full of clubmans, bad coffee and overpriced stickers..."

j/k

(sorry, in a fear and loathing in las vegas kind of mood this morning)

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's cool I am totally digging it.

"15,000 sets of clubman bars showed up at my door as inventory when the drugs began to wear off".

And anything I do would not have bad coffee. I have standards. It would also be free and served in a greek cup....again because I have standards and am the worst business man.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an hipster cafe binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon....

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok...so let's continue this depraved thinking....purely as an acedemic expirement

What would a company catering to new riders and beginner bikes sell? What would be of value to a newbie so they could feel they are "working" on their motorcycle but not making it worse while feeding their head that they are doing something cool.

- Grips: big comfy rubber ones like Biltwell's Kung Fu grips or the old standby GP grips. Maybe some heated grips. Nothing trinkety like brass knurled with a spade engraved in the end.

- Bars: superbike bend, daytona bend, tomaselli condor and adjustable clipons, drag bars. etc plus a guide on how to measure so you don't bash your tank or ruin your back and wrists with poor bar selection

- mirrors: I see plenty of mirrors with decent sized pieces of glass that look way better than stock. Plus ones with signal intergration. No CRG type jewelry garbage. Looking for DOT approved pieces here if possible.

so what do you think a place like this should sell? What shouldn't it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts