Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if it would be hard or not to do but i was thinking of doing a front end swap with a R1.
is there any reason not to do this?
if there is anyone who has done what mods would i have to do to make it work?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I know it's a 4 cylinder, but try posting this on yamaha-triples.org.
A guy I know on there named Gerry has done it, I'm sure he'd be happy to give you the details.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Go to All Balls Racing and use their steering bearing conversion calculator to see what bearings you need to make it fit. That's the first step.

The other things to consider are the fork lengths (newer forks are shorter), spring rates (your XS is heavier than an R1 / GSXR), steering stops (you can pretty much bet they wont line up).

You can worry about rake and trail and spend the rest of your sanity working out if it's going to work on paper but in reality you're not going to able to change those figures anyway - and you're putting a far superior front end on an old bike so it's more than likely going to be an improvement over the spindly worn out stuff it's replacing.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
The triple clamps for R1 / GSXR forks would have different offsets than your XS11 ones, not much you can do about that. Fork lengths for USD forks are often shorter than normal old forks. You need replacement fork lengths as close as you can get to the OEM XS11 ones. Combined with these issues, the 17 inch wheel will give you a much lower ride height: all these things add up. ( Like scraping your engine covers around corners. )

Do your research, some XS11 guy must have done in properly. Forget café racer sites, go to a XS1100 forum.

The USD forks would need heavier springs, oil and seals.

You really need superbike type bars to give enough leverage to be able to ride the bike fast, clips are too low, and narrow for the XS11's weight.

Fitting longer rear shocks for looks or stance, they will do the heavy old bike no favours, in the handling and stability department. You really need quality shocks for a bike of the XS11's weight and power.

Danger, is my business,"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont know if it would be hard or not to do but i was thinking of doing a front end swap with a R1.
is there any reason not to do this?
if there is anyone who has done what mods would i have to do to make it work?
Hey I am looking at doing the same, did you make any head way on this?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
This guy posted a few times in 2015, and hasn’t been heard from since.

He did get his gas tank painted. As far as anyone here knows that’s about the only thing he got completed...,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts