Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening.
I’m a newbie and just about to take on an R80 conversion to a bobber and have a question about suspension and forks. Never done anything like this before but I need a project and always wanted a bike like this.

My plan is to create something like this from CRD:

My question is…if I fit 420mm dual shocks to the rear, do I need to lower the standard front forks to level the bike?

Obviously alot depends on where on the subframe the rear forks are mounted (higher up would naturally lower the rear end a little). If I went up as far as the CRD107 above, I’m guessing I would need to shorten the front forks otherwise there’s a very nose up pitch?

many thanks in advance.
sorry if it’s a stupid question, I’m struggling to find any real info anywhere.

· Registered
133 Posts
"Nose" up is better than nose down.

I noticed in the article there was no road test...Hmmmm?
The gas line is not even installed correctly. Then there is that over-tightened hose clamp on the fork bellows. I am sure it only gets better from there. No one with these bikes even thinks about the risk of getting sucked into the back end of the bike in a get off by the unprotected tire. I wont even discuss the other problems with this setup.

· Registered
9,119 Posts
It's a Bobber, nobody actually rides those things do they?
I recommend you insure and plate the stock bike first, none of those CRuD bikes look road worthy enough to get past MOT or whoever inspects road vehicles where you live.

· Registered
9,119 Posts
Once you get it on the road you can experiment with different shocks and find what works for your tires body weight and riding style. You can even experiment installing handlebars on upside down like those guys but do that after you get it on the road plated :cool:

· Registered
3,624 Posts
That bike is horrendous. I have no idea what it is supposed to be. A post apocalypse living dead zombie thing I guess. It's not really an off road bike and sure isn't a cafe racer. Upside down bars. Puleeze.....

Trials is right on the money. Make the bike safe and stock and ride it first and then think about what style you are looking for and what sort of riding you want to do.

· Registered
4,116 Posts
The Victorians had a phrase 'Form follows function, function follows form'.
The link you posted shows something that looks OK from a distance but is obviously styled for someone who knows nothing about form and function but will buy something massively overpriced and probably shoddy construction because it looks like something seen in a 'men's lifestyle' magazine.
Fitting new carbs to a
' What we liked most about it was its exceptional condition, as the previous owner had been very careful with it.'
bike tells me they have no clue about carburetors
Pretty sure the builders know nothing about suspension or how to set it up to actually work?
Those dinky little cheap pods will restrict airflow so much they will probably get turned inside out when engine runs above idle (when a Honda CB400 t can do it with less than 200cc cylinder I'm sure a 500cc cylinder will find it much easier)

Reactions: CaTacL1sm
1 - 10 of 10 Posts