Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is worth posting, but there's not much else to do at the moment.
I've been working on this '93 R80 for the last 5 weeks or so.
It's only got 22,000 miles on the clock, but after doing an MOT history check it appears to of been off the road for 24 years.
Didn't take a lot of effort to get it running, fortunately the carbs had been drained. Lots of service work though, and many hours spent cleaning.
The biggest issue was a charging fault, no charge going to the battery, and the Gen light stayed on constantly . If I tested everything once I must have tested them 10 times, the only thing I could find was that the Stator windings were grounding against the alternator cover.
I sent the Stator off to be rewound last week, and refitted it yesterday, but the charging fault was still there.
Finally found the problem this morning. Turns out a previous owner had connected the live wire from the Diode Board to the wrong terminal on the Starter motor, I've lost count how many hours have been spent trying to sort it.
Just the tank to do now, but that's in a right state.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I have one of these, an 86 R80 monolever. It's been a nickel and dime bike for me for the last 3 years.

Just last weekend the petcocks went bad and I had to replace them (I could have rebuilt them but new petcocks are $40 a tap vs $20 for the kit that doesn't give you everything). Three weeks ago I had to replace the ignition module, and my english friends were telling me to go buy a MKII VW one because it's the same one Euromoto sells as an HD replacement - only to find out that a $10 part in ol blighty is a $50 in the states. Even right now the thing is sitting in my garage waiting on:

• An o-ring for the Right side F08 front caliper because somehow it went bad
  • a clutch adjustment
  • a binding right side carb cable that won't let the carb return freely.
and it could use, but is not urgent:
  • Tires, no cracking and still soft but checked the date recently and they are close to 15 years old
  • new throttle cables, noticed them cracking around the ferrules but they still work fine
  • a check of the carb float height - if I leave the petcocks open the right one starts a slow drip after about 5 min.
  • cosmetics, at 50K miles - most I assume racked up in NYC it's dented and scratched and all the emblems are yellowed. The tail badge fell out yesterday so I 3d printed a replacement: a compass rose to replace one of the 5 places where this bikes prominently displays "BMW" in either logo or text.
I will say this - it is an easy bike to work on once you get over the sticker shock for parts. I see a lot of people making customs out of them and some aren't half bad (some are all bad though). I really like riding mine, although I still don't have confidence that the rear shock is going to shit itself at any moment.

I really like the orange color on yours. Mine is that yukon blue color that mostly came on RT's (mine is just an R80 standard optioned with dual disc brakes). One thing I can tell you about them is if your tank is good keep it nice as long as you can. Apparently the tanks are 1985-95 (85-88 for the r100) specific and extremely hard to find. LAst one I saw sell stateside was like $600.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear from you Geeto. Over here you could still get most parts directly from BMW until a few years ago, since then the prices seem to have gone up a bit. Most of the spares now seem to be aftermarket too.
As for the tank, I tried putting 1/2 gallon of fuel in it this afternoon. Within seconds I had most of it on the shed floor. It was absolutely pissing out of the seam.
So the options are used one for around £400, + probable respray.
New one from India £300ish+ spraying.
Send this one off to a company in Norwich who can restore it £250, and hope it doesn't need a respray.
You mentioned the leaking carb. The float needles are natorious for sticking. Something you could try is removing the float bowl, turn the fuel on, and move the float up and down a few times. This is usually enough to shift any small pieces of dirt caught on the tip of the needle.
These 2 sites might be worth a look, I've ordered loads of parts from both over the years, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I suspect my carb woes are from the previous owner. He had in tank filters and inline filters on it, and with both in place it didn't leak. It was fuel starving after 15 miles at highway speed meaning the bowls were empty. I removed the inline filters and right away it started leaking if I left the taps on making me suspect he monkeyed with the float height to get it to run. He mostly rode in NYC traffic so he wouldn't have noticed the high speed starvation. To be honest, the carbs could probably use a going through, I'm just being lazy because of other projects I am working on.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local dealer droped off another bike at the weekend.
It's in pretty much mint condition, but the inside of the tank is a bit manky to say the least and carbs need a good going over. Also it's had a heavy coat of Waxoyl, so that will need to come off.
100_2416.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts