Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a set of Raask rearsets on their bike? Are they worth the $300 price tag? They look to be quality peices in the photos, but looking at a picture and holding something in your hand are two different things.

--------------------------

1978 Yamaha XS400. Stock for now.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I have. I'm not crazy about the pot metal. When you crash its almost impossible to weld. If you don't have access to making some then I would get them though.

Aaron

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I have. I'm not crazy about the pot metal. When you crash its almost impossible to weld. If you don't have access to making some then I would get them though.

Aaron

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I have no problem with fabbing anything, its 2nd nature to me. Whats a good starting point though? What would a good donor be, what about linkage?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I have no problem with fabbing anything, its 2nd nature to me. Whats a good starting point though? What would a good donor be, what about linkage?

·
Registered
453 Posts
i had the raask rearsets on my 750k. the material quality is crap. theres several universal rearsets on the market for less money and better quality. check eblow

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
453 Posts
i had the raask rearsets on my 750k. the material quality is crap. theres several universal rearsets on the market for less money and better quality. check eblow

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:
thanks for the input. Do you have a webpage link for eblow? I tried google and absolutely nothing comes up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:
thanks for the input. Do you have a webpage link for eblow? I tried google and absolutely nothing comes up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool. Ya I would definatly like to hear your input on quality and how well their "universal" fit is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool. Ya I would definatly like to hear your input on quality and how well their "universal" fit is.

·
Registered
687 Posts
nearly anything is "universal" if you work it enough. i took measurements and the 50mm spaced mounts will fit perfectly on the tab where the passenger pegs mount to my sl350 just need to drill two holes on each side. i won't be using the two metal plates unless i need to mock up a guard.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
687 Posts
nearly anything is "universal" if you work it enough. i took measurements and the 50mm spaced mounts will fit perfectly on the tab where the passenger pegs mount to my sl350 just need to drill two holes on each side. i won't be using the two metal plates unless i need to mock up a guard.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a pair once and never fitted them as they looked really cheapo........this was a few years back so maybe the quality's come along a bit since then. I used them to get the geometry right and got some fabricated to the correct dimensions. Then I sold them on.
Everyone I spoke to was of the same opinion as me. They become the weakest(cosmetic) link of a project.
Those ones that Snorkel posted seem far far beter (OMO).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looking at the pictures more I can see that you can change just about every piece of those ebay rearsets. Thats a very cool feature and now I can see how they are universal, the 50mm bolt spacing matches my Yamaha also. As long as snorkelfork gives a good review of them I think this will be the way to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm real interested on the quality of the ebay rearsets. We were looking at them and trying to decide if it was worth getting a set to see how hard it would be to make them work. Otherwise, I'll be designing some this winter, but I would rather just get something that with a little work could fit up nicely.

Tim

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
quote:
looking at the pictures more I can see that you can change just about every piece of those ebay rearsets.
what are you going to change them to? are you going to call the place you bought them from and hope they have spares?

i used the raasks on my old racebike. i crashed the crap out of them i only broke them2x in about 5 years. and once the entire peg was wrapped around the linkage rod. (pretty severe crash) the other time was just a broken lever. the good thing was they had levers at the track that fit. i dont remember which hole size it was, but it had a standard hole for one of the big manufacturers. that being said, i have heard a ton of sotries about peole bonking them on the way out of their van, or bonking a fence post and them braking. if youre using them on a streetbike, they are probably fine. i had good luck with them on the racebike. you used to be able to call the importer directly and get parts, but not anymore. i used to order a handful of spares before every season just to make sure. i had a pretty good collection of spares. i think they are all donated to another project at this point. i made my own with pretty good results.

jc

1 - 20 of 45 Posts