Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People have been asking about what motorbikes we're building for IOM, Phillips Island and the Irish Road Races next year.
I've been thrashing away on the Classic SBK's and the NC-30 and they are all in some form of the build. I will gather some in progress shots but here's the Moto Guzzi we raced in 2019 at Phillips Island. It will also be heading back next year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't happen to meet my crazy Canadian racer friend at Phillips Island did you?
No the countries are pretty much sequestered: Team Australia, Team New Zealand, Team UK and Team USA. I don't recall if there was a Team Canada. The whole bloody three days is kind of intense and we'd never raced there before so we had no idea of the set-up.

Only folks we really got to know were the boys from Vincent Australia . We were told that they had kicked so much butt that they were banned from the Classic. We did get a tour of the Vincent factory. WHAT A PLACE !

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
He rode with the USA team, Jordan Szoke, I think he came in 7th. or something like that but it doesn't sound like you get much face time with the other riders.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He rode with the USA team, Jordan Szoke, I think he came in 7th. or something like that but it doesn't sound like you get much face time with the other riders.
I do remember the name and maybe the name on the leathers. He was pitted (all Team USA were in the same two large stall garage separated only by the ceiling support posts) and he was in the section directly across from us. We were pitted with Mark Miller while Jardan was over with Pridmore and Crussell

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Any cool custom gas tanks for the race bikes to show?
I'm kinda interested in them at the moment...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any cool custom gas tanks for the race bikes to show?
I'm kinda interested in them at the moment...
jcw, What exactly are you looking for ? I ended up buying 4 or 5 FG tanks of different styles because of a company going out of business. But I'm not sure what you are looking for. Most of these type of tanks don't hold a lot of fuel and when you go looking for them be quite sure you know how big the tunnel for the spine of the motorbike needs to be. The custom Ally tanks are expensive and if they are not they often are junk. Oh ! and except for the ones that come on some of the BMW R Nine's tend to dent if looked upon with malice.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Just looking for design ideas.
I was looking for a lightweight tank for my japanese supersport track bike. Only could find a company from the land of the rising sun...Beater. odd name.
Crazy expensive, beautiful.

Probably totally worth it but I decided to beat one out myself... lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looking for design ideas.
I was looking for a lightweight tank for my japanese supersport track bike. Only could find a company from the land of the rising sun...Beater. odd name.
Crazy expensive, beautiful.

Probably totally worth it but I decided to beat one out myself... lol
Looks rather nice and everyone I've seen from Japan was OK and paintable. From some of the retired factory race mechanics I know I'm told that most of the small companies in Japan making those tanks also make them fro the factories so they are pretty nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts